zX - Hyperblast

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Why are they black stars? They have a border glow around a black inner shape, they're even given a greenish glow, just like the one kind of shot. Swap up the rules you're displaying them with: Make them an internal gold colour, remove the glow, boom, no confusion possible - now they can move toward the ship without issue.

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    @dislekcia ah see what you mean, ye. The visual aesthetic of the star is something that I have been talking to @retroFuture about changing. I was opting for a adding a white inner center to them. Now to find some kind of visual juice that isn't a glow.

The reason they are black is because black is symbolic of the enemy unit's power, hence why their bullets have black cores, and the Hyperblaster's bullets also have black core (as the power to use the Hyperblaster comes from absorbing the black stars)

But as I said if it confusing then we will change it.

I think you may be right @dislekcia. I'll work on differentiating the collectible stars from the enemy bullets.

I keep telling them to unify the bullet colours. Your attacks = one colour. Things you wanna dodge = one colour, things you wanna collect = one colour.

I keep saying that. Over and over :P

@dislekcia Originally, the stars were created black in order to differentiate them from the enemy bullets. The enemy bullets were then made black in order to differentiate them from the player bullets. Now the stars are a similar color to the enemy bullets, but I'll fix that tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

Your attacks can't just be one color @Tuism, the players 3 weapon types need 3 different colors. Besides, the enemy bullets all have a black core which seperates them from the player bullets, which have a bright core. The different glow colors of the enemy bullets also signify different projectile types.

@Karuji said:
    The reason they are black is because {has nothing to do with player attention or recognition}
    Internal world consistency has to take a back seat to immediacy of unambiguous player understanding. Especially in an action game... I would be trying to dodge those black stars all the friggin time.
    I think you may be right @dislekcia. I'll work on differentiating the collectible stars from the enemy bullets.
    Please do. And, like @Tuism says, the player bullets from the enemy bullets! There really is no reason that enemy bullets need to be different colours, is there? Players still have to dodge them all or take damage, right? Is there any secondary information that you need to convey, like damage amounts or shield-absorption possibilities?

You could always change the glow colour of enemy bullets per level to make it stand out nicely from the background colour. Like 1 level all the enemy shots could be yellow to complement the blue background, the next level they're orange to stand out against a green, etc.

Have you had problems trying to fit stuff into "enough colours" given the styles of all the shots are graphically similar?

Internal world consistency has to take a back seat to immediacy of unambiguous player understanding. Especially in an action game... I would be trying to dodge those black stars all the friggin time.
    When the bullets lacked the black cores: people were still trying to dodge the stars. So we increase the speed of them to try and show that they cannot be dodged. Hence why I was thinking they should go to the UI as it indicated clearly that they they are charging the Hyperblast meter.

---

Also I think the colour changes could work rather well.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    I really think speeding them up will just lead to players being more frustrated about dodging them. Really, make them easy to read. I BET a million bucks not 50% of people who play will even have noticed what you're talking about with the black cores. Simplify!

Pulling a page from my Pecha Kucha talk from AMAZE :P

They made all kinds of different attacks, but were able to very easily identify them from one another (which ones need to be dodged) with a very simple rule of colour that people understood instinctively.

The main identifier of the enemy bullets is the black core. The glow colors determine type, but this not essential, as they all inflict the same damage. Apart from that, the color only serves an aesthetic purpose. And yes... fitting stuff into "enough colors" was indeed difficult.

I think I'll drop the different enemy bullet colors.

AND while we're on the topic, some of the background black stuff is solid and some aren't. Some black things you can fly through and some you can't. That can create inconsistent player expectations and lead to frustrations.

OK, I'll ensure tonal differentiation on non-solid background decals too.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    The main identifier of the enemy bullets is the black core. The glow colors determine type, but this not essential, as they all inflict the same damage. Apart from that, the color only serves an aesthetic purpose. And yes... fitting stuff into "enough colors" was indeed difficult.
    The core is the least visible part of the shot, unfortunately. The glow does kinda overpower it pretty hard... Also, you've got core shape and movement to play with as differentiating factors for dodging: As long as all bullets shaped a specific way move the same way, you're good. I think that generally the major differentiation points (like colour) should be used for specific secondary information, like this bullet isn't going to hurt you right now, but this one will, etc.

You could use the same size/shape/movement coherence for player bullets too, giving you a much closer colour spectrum to play with on those - so player shots could all be very closely coloured in order to differentiate them from enemy shots, but the subtle variations in their colour could help players identify the mode that they're in right now. There are couple of ways to do that, personally I'd give the bullets all the same primary colour, but have them fade to different effect colours as they moved on, so it would be obvious by their trails which state you were in.

There's lots of ways the colour can be used very subtly to signify stuff. One of my favorite uses is in DDR, where all the arrows cycle through this crazy garish colour set as they scroll, so each arrow will - at some point of its life on the screen - be every possible arrow colour. The trick here is that relative arrow colour is important: Every arrow that's on the same part of the beat, is the same colour. This is consistent across every single song, so once you pick it up, you can tell how fast you need to respond to an arrow by it's degree of difference to the arrows around it. And yes, this information is also given to you by the arrow's actual physical location up the screen, but it's a secondary channel that helps reinforce timing information that you might otherwise miss when you're just pattern matching shapes and layouts of arrows.

Personally, I think that's genius. It's one of the key elements of the design of DDR that makes play at crazy high speeds possible and a huge factor in establishing those highly entertaining "flow" states that we all enjoy. (There are even different options on arrow cycling colours for colourblind players to give them maximum spectrum for recognition)

Hunh, I play DDR tons... Played, and I've never thought anything of the colour of the arrows. It was always the position for me. I read the game like I read text, driving my body like a punch card drives a computer.

... Too much information? :P

edited
    @Tuism: The colours in DDR are pretty subliminal. I noticed it at first mostly when playing battle mode in DDR3 or 4 (whichever one had that thing going where all the arrows were the same colour depending on which side had to hit them). I didn't realise that I'd internalised the colour information that much until I was like "Wait, why am I off time here?" then it got reinforced when you play with the shadow or fade modifier and the arrows are disappearing halfway up the screen.

Also yeah, I loved the way DDR felt more like you were just zoning out, staring past the patterns and just interpreting them almost unintentionally.

Like any good UI, you don't notice it till it's taken away ;)

So we've changed the enemy bullet colour to be consistent throughout, player bullets will be a while off until there is a colour change with them (read after rAge.)

Also no decal changes yet (sorry @Tuism)

But on the very plus side there is now screenshake on enemy kill, and bigger enemies give bigger screenshake (yay!)

Sorry that there is no new build but I need to poke Mike to fix the hyper-star in the UI before I upload a new build (though will likely also have some tweaks to the menu in final prep for rAge so it will be a bit odd.)

But thanks for the advice really good to get it so I'll hone those video editing skillz. (This one is less terrible than the last)

That definitely looks a lot easier to read... Any reason the enemy bullet colour is so close to the level background colour?

@dislekcia I picked a colour that was distinct from the players own shots. @Karuji captured the video on a backdrop that resembled (but hopefully doesn't obscure) the bullet colours.

Ye I need to work on the video stuffs, though I think the last one was a bit better.

Also final build for rAge. Sorry that there are a bunch of the regular features that we cut out of the game. But it is intended for a demo PC at a show ;)

edited
    So I'm currently taking a bit of a break from getting the next build done and working on the site.

Official site

And I have a little site that I'm putting some of the WIP stuff on link

Some feedback on the sites would be rather appreciated (Also I know the press link on the WIP site doesn't work :P )

Looking good :) I'd make the "vote for zx on steam greenlight" link's color a kind of light green to make it stand out more.

Also, the blog seems to be aligned incorrectly on mobile (saw it using a tablet)

Ye mobile is completely fuxed. :$

@Fengol pointed me towards bootstrap. So once I got the site a bit more functional I'm going to start work on a mobile version.

---

As for the vote on Greenlight: I agree that it should stand out, but the other crit I got was that I should make the download link more prominent.

So I do have the slight worry that it might end up just making all the link differing colours, which I don't want. But I'll change the link colour for those two and see how it goes :)

You're probably going to have to redo your design from the beginning if you want to take advantage of bootstrap. It's not a bad thing because the layout components are quite good

I don't really mind doing that when I get there, but considering I picked up CSS 4 days ago, I think I shall learn to walk before I starting running ;)

So I updated the website. Got my widescreen view running :D

Also, for shits and giggles, I got a build 'working' on my cellphone.

Voted for Steam :D

edited
    New UI (with and without backdrop) - will explain layout and new features soon.
    (just noticed that the "level"element if off-center, will fix it.)

@retroFuture, Damn you with your (unintentional?) teasers! I want to see more. :) What else have you guys been working on?

edited
    @Rigormortis New weapon modes are currently being implemented. These will be random item drops which further modify existing weapon layouts. All new weapon modes are still selected and modified the same way as the current standard weapons.

Gun mods:
    Flamethrower - short range, but sustained and high damage i.e. flame projectile continues to damage enemy until it burns out (completed and implemented);
    Explosive slug - low fire rate, slug detonates and spreads shrapnel (90% completed);
    Rapid fire shards - low damage but extremely high fire rate shard projectiles. (still to be implemented);

Blade mods:
    Acid blades - adds stackable poison damage counter to enemies (still to be implemented);
    2 Unknown blade modes - still to be designed and implemented;

Hyper mods:
    Ultrablast - Similar to Hyperblast, but even more devastating. Not activated by a pickup item. While Hyperblast is activated, if player can fill up the 2nd meter, Ultrablast mode is activated. (still to be implemented);

Will post screenshots and / or gifs soon(ish).