Steam Charts (has some cool info)

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
edited in General
If anyone here doesn't know about Steam Charts, it's a cool tool for finding out how many players are playing a particular game.

http://steamcharts.com/

It doesn't calculate sales, though if you can guess what the average play time of a game is you can get something of an idea.

What I want to know is:

WTF happened to Super Time Force: http://steamcharts.com/app/250700 ???

There's no way I'd have guessed that it would have an average of 5 concurrent players just 3 months after launch, and that it would have a peak concurrent player value only a quarter that of Broforce. This alarms me because when sales figures come as this much of a surprise to me, it means something about my internal model of how sales are generated is broken. Any insight anyone has into this would be appreciated.

(I presume Super Time Force sold well on XBox, but I'm completely baffled by its Steam performance.)

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

edited
    Here's the chart for The Slaughtering Grounds recently commented on by Jim Sterling

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

edited

Speed Runners also surprised me: http://steamcharts.com/app/207140

They've always had pretty good numbers for an indie game, but they've clearly been growing in popularity as the game has been developed (it's still in early access).

Whereas Towerfall, which I personally think is a better competitive platformer, has something like a quarter of the sales: http://steamcharts.com/app/251470

(The big difference as far as I can tell is the online multiplayer, and the side effect of the much greater adoption of Speed Runners by Youtubers)

Towerfall has far fewer players than I'd expect, whereas Speed Runners has many more. Again, I need to revise my internal models.

This is actually a really great resource if you're trying to figure out multiplayer server licences, and how many concurrent users you're likely to ever need... I'm getting the impression it's a lot lower than you would think.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.2583.1: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.2583.1: array (
  0 => '2014-11-12 07:43:44',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 62.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/index.php line 35.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 66.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.