[Asset][Work In Progress] GASCAR Unity Asset for the Asset Store

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
edited in Projects

Comming Soon (TM). [when it's ready]

I figured to help generate some funds towards my main development project, I would try creating some assets exclusively for the asset store.
So I'll be bouncing back and forth between assets for myself and these little extra projects, to see if ill actually make any extra cash from this.

So my first project made for the asset store is the GASCAR project.

GASCAR is a parody of the acronym NASCAR, it stands for "Generic Association of Stock Car and Racing", and this fictional car manufacturer is "Generic".
The design of this car is shaped to represent a common shape similar to various Oval Stocks of the mid to late 90's, just before the super sleek designs of the early 2Ks appeared. The design is also fictional not to represent/match any particular Manufacturer in any way, as well as no actual logos are in use, or any other form of copyrighted branding - making this ideal for anyone who needs cars that don't require licenses to be included in a game.

The model in this package is designed for external (chase camera/3rd person) views only, the internal detail of the car is very low poly. A driver model is not included.

A more feature packed/enhanced kit will probably be developed later expanding on this car to include LOD meshes and a higher detailed interior if this turns out to be a successful release.

The initial package will be a basic package:

- 3DSMax .Max files, as well as .FBX imports and all resources, modeled without a particular scale in mind. Users will scale it to their project's unit measurements.
- A UntyPackage demonstrating a fully assembled car ( finished car will require 3 materials, and has separate meshes for various components that can be hidden for LOD purposes ), a completed car would be available as a prefab. Demo might be a basic "Drive it around" thing, depending on how much time I have.

- No LOD meshes for the outer hull (yet).
- Low Poly internals, includes a crash cage , bucket seat, stearing wheel and dash.
- A handmade convex hull mesh instead of an automatically generated one.
- UVW Templates including a region map, and a pre-baked shadow map layer.
- Example Paintjob(s)
- (MAYBE) I might write and include a custom Fresnel based shader in the release.

Current state of the project is that most mesh work is complete, will be working on completing UVs and textures before preparing a unity package, will be testing the car to check for strange rendering glitches. It has taken less than 24 hours to reach this current state from scratch, the tedious part of the work is the next step for me, manually unwrapping everything by hand.

Below are some images from development and some renders:

(I didn't think I would have enough time in one day to literally push through the entire meshing process in one day, which is why this image was put together)

90% completed mesh renders:

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

edited
    Two things if I was in the market for this asset:
    - Make sure the UV mapping is ace. That's not a stock car racer until it has sponsor decals everywhere. In fact I'd want to know the decals are easily modifiable.
    - I'd want a decent performance fresnel shader. Also a decent cube map. Sure if I was expert I could do those things myself, but ya know. Asset store. I'd wanna drop in and have it work.

Source: Work on a bunch of racing adver-games, one of them directly inspired by stock car racing.

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    yeah the ability to paint the car easily was top priority from the beginning, which is why there will be multiple materials:

Material 1: Outer-shell/body , and rims, in which the body and rims have their own easily paint-able shell. The fresnal shader would be applied to the body mesh only. The UVS have just been completed for the body. Since the rims (not the tyres ) are included with the body UVS, this means the colors of the rims can be unique per car as well, as they share the same texture as the body itself.

Material 2: Underlying chassis, and its UVS. This is all the parts of the car that don't count as paintable, so regardless of how many cars you have in a scene , (EG 40 paintjobs ) - they underlying chassis of all cars will share the same material, so batching can be used on the rest of the car. The only material that is instance specific is the above material with the custom paint.

Material 3: All mesh parts with transparency (windshield, and catch net (driver side ).

I will upload a screenshot of a painted car body example as soon as I can, but only the body and rims have been UV Unwrapped so far.