[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 29th October 2014

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Some of us are meeting at the ramen place above lefties around the corner from City Varsity.

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    I went to the wrong place.. will be there soon :(

This was a really enjoyable meetup. Congrats to @dammit on moderating the GamerGate discussion.

This was a really enjoyable meetup. Congrats to @dammit on moderating the GamerGate discussion.
    Did you guys come up with some good ideas / conclusion?

:) Thanks to everyone who participated in last night's discussion. I think we raised a lot of interesting ideas and we certainly touched on a lot of good talking points.

The questions that were posed during the discussion (as I recall them):
    1. Does the community have a unified stance on the gamergate issue and do we want to make any sort of public statement in this regard?
    2. How do we make our community feel like a safe space for under-represented groups to join?
    3. Is it fair to ask white males to make games about non-white male characters?
    4. How do we actively challenge ourselves in our game design?

Some of the thoughts on these questions:
    1. No clear answer on this one - and in fact this wasn't really given much attention overall.
    2. Overall, I think the general gist here was that talking about these issues is a starting point. We've also started the bursary programme and we are ultimately friendly people. Having more discussions about what we represent in games and also making necessary changes to our games (like Desktop Dungeons did for their female representation) will have a slow trickle effect. We also agreed to look into opportunities for volunteering and outreach.
    3. Yes. While no one is being forced in any way to make a game other than the one they want to make, the community generally felt that challenging oneself to make something different or at least question design choices (why is the lead character a guy when it's just a person in a robot?) is a very important starting point and also offers the opportunity to create games that stand out. Being different from the AAA title cliches is what makes being indie cool and is our unique angle as indie developers. It's also not impossible for any person to put themselves in the shoes of someone else - we're all a pretty creative bunch, after all :)
    4. The idea was put forward to have a "minority jam" (which I realise this morning is a terrible name since in South Africa, whites are the minority, and females are hardly a minority population :P ) or an "empathy jam" where the rules of the game jam are that you have to go out of your game design comfort zone. Final wrap-up concluded with "let's put a pin in this idea".

I probably missed some things, so please feel free to add to this list for those who were not there.

Ultimately, I want to keep having these kinds of conversations as an ongoing effort for us all to challenge ourselves in our game designs. As I mentioned last night, I've been shocked to realise that in every game I've ever made, all the characters are male (majority white - but a few green ones too) so I am hardly pointing fingers here without acknowledging that this is a problem that we're all affected by.

@dammit If I can offer my opinion? I would have offered these up last night, except that I wasn't actually there, mainly because people here seem to completely misinterpret what I mean when I say things :|

1. I reckon it's fine if that's postponed - that energy would be better spent on the rest

2. This is tricky at best. If you deliberately make an effort to include "minorities" (in the sense of, minorities in the field of SA game dev, not the general SA population), then it can seem a bit patronising (or end up a political firestorm of its own). But if you do nothing, then you seem apathetic. Maybe the best answer is to make available as many resources and opportunities as we can, and then leave it up to them whether they want to join or not. Ultimately we're supposed to be an Association of Game Makers, so it should be about the game-making, first and foremost.

3. It's absolutely fair, and it shouldn't even really be seen as a political, or socially-conscious thing, rather just a pure creative thing: The stereotypes have been done to death, and there are so many more fascinating ideas out there. I'm sure there are games that can be built that deal with running a traditional Zulu village. Or survival games set in a sub-saharan context. Or story-driven games that delve into the incredibly rich pantheon that is the African hierarchy of mythological figures. Or even just games that tell the stories of modern-day life in other cultures: the clans, tribes, ceremonies, weddings, the identity challenges that young people in these cultures face - there's so much more here.

4. I think it comes down to: tell better stories. I know that storytelling seems to take a back seat in most game design (often by necessity), but if the focus is to explore new cultures, myths, and ways of life, then you're going to need to find the stories you can tell there.

And I don't think you should be too hard on yourself for building games with mainly white men :) Artists create from what they know, and if you (like most of us) grew up with games coming from a majority-white amero-centric worldview, then it's natural that it will be your default when creating art of your own. Look on the bright side: You recognize it now, and all you really need to do to change it is immerse yourself in the world that contains the games you want to create.

Sorry hope I'm not derailing the current thread-of-thought

Lots of people asked if I could upload a build of 6x Mass Production, here is the link to the forum post, please go there! :)