Albert&Otto 2D Puzzle Platformer

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
edited in Projects
Hi Guys and Gals

Awesome to find this forum, been actively snooping through all your stuff the past couple of weeks, some great work out there.

Been working on a game for the past couple of months in my spare time, its a "cinematic" 2D puzzle platformer about a boy and a magical bunny on a quest to find the boys little sister.

It has sort of snowballed and become my main focus at the moment, I've just put up a website for it http://www.albertandotto.com

The basic mechanics revolve around interactions with the bunny, the player may pick up the bunny which gives him powers such as the ability to jump higher, levitate objects, etc. In some cases he has to leave him to hold a pressure plate down, or activate a generator while he stands on a lift that is powered by it. You control essentially both the bunny and albert at the same time which as you can imagine opens up some great oportunities for fun puzzles.

The style i achieved is hopefully something unique, it is my very first game, i own and actively run an ad agency and have recently opened a mobile app dev business so i do have a background in dev, animation, design, etc. but this is first game.

Have a look, let me know what you guys think, scheduling the demo for the 25th of November, will have videos before then to get more feedback (there is one short clip of the very start of the demo below).

Will be at the rAge expo tomorow and Sunday, would be really awesome to hook up with some local devs and like minded individuals, so if you see us there say hi!
Will be wearing Albert and Otto t-shirts and probably look excited and/or sheepish, something like this :D

Here's the good stuff:

Short Clip

And this is the draft of the narration so far (for the trailer) have not recorded music yet so this music was pulled off of youtube, it should give you an idea of the stye, HEAVILY inspired by tim burton.

http://www.albertandotto.com

Comments

• MCAMCA

Looks good - quite similar to Limbo, but the bunny and hand cannon abilities add an interesting dynamic - I hope there are many puzzles that rely on these capabilities (can you switch weapons?). For the Narration, it's a bit Top Billing trying to sound macabre, if you know what I mean - I'm guessing you'd like a Vincent Price sounding voice if you're a Tim Burton fan?

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    MCA said:
    Looks good - quite similar to Limbo, but the bunny and hand cannon abilities add an interesting dynamic - I hope there are many puzzles that rely on these capabilities (can you switch weapons?). For the Narration, it's a bit Top Billing trying to sound macabre, if you know what I mean - I'm guessing you'd like a Vincent Price sounding voice if you're a Tim Burton fan?
    Correct :) going for the Vincent Price feel, its a very early draft so not happy with the voice over at all at the moment. You cannot switch weapons but the weapon does switch up in the way you can use it as the game progresses, its not so much a gun as it is a tool to blow walls away, push blocks back and launch them into the sky.

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    @dzoni That looks amazing! Loving the overall aesthetic of the game :)

Hey guys! Awesome work! Looks very promising!

Where are you guys at rAge?

edited
    Oh man, this looks incredible. I grew up playing cinematic platformers like Heart of Darkness and Blackthorne, so I'm really excited about a local project along the same lines :D

That said, I am kinda concerned about some plot related stuff in the screenshots. Albert's sister seems to have been damseled. A face value reading leads us to believe that some evil dudes rolled up on their house, kidnapped her, and torched the place. While I think that this plot device has been used far too many times and has often resulted in some really troublesome portrayals of women in games, there's nothing inherently wrong with the 'damsel in distress' trope. Of course, we don't have the entire storyline available to us yet, it could be that you have some very clever subversion or deconstruction lined up.

I'm also uncomfortable with the line 'get back what was taken from you'. This just makes it sound like the evil dudes rolled up and took your television set. Albert's sister (who remains somewhat problematically nameless) is a human being, not an object he should be trying to retrieve from the people who robbed him.

Kinda wondering why you chose this specific gender combination for the siblings? Why not two brothers or two sisters? Why not have the girl use her own rabbit to save her brother? To be clear, I'm not suggesting that these changes ought to be made, there's nothing inherently problematic with a male protagonist or his attempt to save a female character. I'm just curious as to whether or not this was a conscious decision for you, and if it was, why you went with that particular decision?

My reading here could be wrong, I hope that it is. Again, information is limited at this point, but I'm worried that this might end up being another damsel in distress story that perpetuates problematic gender norms.

That said, I am still SO EXCITED to get my hands on the demo next month (also incredibly jealous that your first attempt at making a game looks this amazing :P ). Good luck!

1) This looks incredible, sorry hadn't really seen it before now, rAge preparations have taken my time away from my usual rounds here... It looks incredible! :)

2) So many mechanics! That could be one thing that I'm a bit iffy about - too many mechanics might add unnecessary complexity to the game - especially since you've just started making it, it's a good idea to extensively explore a core rather than to throw in the kitchen sink from the start. But of course not having seen any real gameplay I can't say.

3) Where were you at rAge?

edited
    Hey guys, just got back to Cape Town, I just saw the comments, its so nice to hear all the positive feedback :)

@wogan @Mexicanopiumdog thank you for the nice comments, they are encouraging :)

@SUGBOERIE we weren't "formally" there just flew up to check it out and meet some local devs, which we did, you guys are awesome.

@brondin
    I read your comment with a smirk on my face and I’ll explain why in a moment. I’m a filmmaker originally, story to me is everything, I spent a long time perfecting that aspect and I believe I rewrote it a dozen times at least. I’m finding myself biting my tongue right now as I don’t want to give away too much, however, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed and here is the crazy part and why your comment made me smile, the girl, whose name is Anna is the actual hero of the story. Albert is just a lost boy who thinks he is doing the right thing. His sister, although younger is far more mature and an overall deeper character.

If anything the game portrays the male character in a very two dimensional way and allows the female character to really take center stage, I wanted to take the most conventional tale and flip it on its head a few times over for the very reasons that you mentioned. The story is very dark in a very real way, there is no clear cut right or wrong and there will be a choice in the end giving two separate endings.

So far I have shared the entire story with a few people and the reaction was always the same, a kind of gasp followed by a “hoooly sh*t!” :D so I’m really hoping that result can be projected to a wider audience.

I’m still working on how to present the story outside of the game, I realise that i haven't done the best job there, the narrator in the end gives a bit of a clue when he says “Oh Albert boy…what have you done?” but I think I would also be alright with a player going into the game thinking it is a straight forward save the damsel in distress scenario, perhaps the experience would be better for it even though the game does not really rely on one major twist.

Otherwise hell yeah Heart of Darkness was THE cinematic platformer :) and thank you so much for the great comments it keeps the engine running and I am very excited to get you guys the demo.

@Tuism thank you very much, means a lot to hear that.

I have to agree with you about the mechanics, there are a little less than may at first appear, most are just creative uses of the core mechanics and i hope will come naturally to the player but there is no denying that it should be kept as simple as possible and that yes right now there are probably more than needed, For the demo i will be including them all so I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys think.

I see now that it sounded in my post like we had a booth or something at rAge :D Next year 100% but this time we just attended.

Will be posting more videos soon to better illustrate the mechanics and how Albert and Otto work together.

@dzoni: Thanks for responding! It's a huge relief to know that it isn't just an excuse plot. Again, not that there's anything wrong with that, but the damsel in distress excuse plot has been responsible for a lot of shitty stuff in the past. I'm glad you've given this so much thought, and I'm looking forward to the game even more now! :D

All I'm seeing is flashbacks of the best (puzzle platformer) game in the world Braid and THAT is very exciting :)

So are you bringing this to the next CT meetup then? ;)

Yo man wow this looks sick man... was good meeting you on Saturday cant wait to see the game at the next make games...

@Joker89 thanks man :) you can follow it on instagram @albertandotto, demo is out on the 25th so look forward to having people play it.