Cluster - A name change

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Morning, it's @Karuji on the forums (and would have been on twitter too if someone hadn't taken it when I signed up :< )

But yeah 'beaten' Super Hexagon a couple of times, been trying to make some progress in BW, but really haven't had the time to sit down with it.

Really liking the way things are progressing ;)

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    Dude! There is totally a game here :D

So having just played the new build - The limited boost is great. The juice you have on the craft movement and breaking blocks feels awesome! You know what doesn't feel awesome? Dying every time I hit a block. I know that's kind of the point, to be difficult. But you have a movement system that feels awesome! Let me enjoy that! ;)

So when I'm scootching around using my boost system, you know what I see? I see a microbe eating food. When I don't die, it feels like a turbo charged Osmos / Flow. Yeah, those are zen games, but whatever. Dashing around and eating blocks feels awesome. When I'm actually concentrating on staying alive I play very timidly. Short boosts. Don't obfuscate the awesome! You have black holes to keep players in check, you don't need the blocks to kill you. There enough game in exploring the environment using a totally sweet movement system. While blocks don't kill you, they can still block your way if you don't get your boost right.

Okay, so at this point the question might be, if you can just explore the environment, what's the point? Well, I feel like exploration is already a decent reward. But maybe let's imagine you're going around collecting blocks. You're eating and doing a good job of surviving as a microbe. Your score is increasing. Block number 23 looks just the same as all the previous blocks. Munch- "HOLY SHIT WAT THE FUUUU IS THAT?" There is a monster(microbe) lying dormant inside the block. He's wakes up. He's higher up on the food chain than you... you better run. Good thing you are an ultimate boost ninja!

Point is there are so much you could do by adding other creatures and "agents" to the system. Ala flow and osmos. ;)

PS I've also finished Super Hexagon. The trick there is there are patterns you brain can learn. I don't really see a scope for patterns in Cluster

Ive got some work to do on MONTEZ so updates will be a bit slow this week but yeah I also think there is a game here the problem is all of this design problems need solving.

I am not sure how one would do the "blocks don't kill you" situation. I mean i guess you could do a situation where if you hit a block it deducts 5 of your score, and if you go below zero you loose. Or if you hit the black hole you die. And then you could expand the exploration aspect by having some sort of procedural shape generator.

The above situation feels like its too easy, so I will probably split up the game into an "normal" and "WTF? THIS IS INSANE" mode.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well what I'm suggesting is a bit of a departure from the current nature of the game. Blocks frustrating your movement would be meaningful if you had to suddenly run away from something. I think the easiness is less of an issue if you're prepared to venture away from the "super hexagon" impossible trope.

Cool man, maybe some blocks drop bombs that just expand rapidly in a circle. I am trying to keep this simple and completable so adding AI would be bad for me.

There is a newer version up with some changes to how the game plays.
    Boost is infinite now. You can only go upwards in this one. There are saws that are chasing you.

https://drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=0B8L1lapR2kOGQnp3cmhJSENWNVU&export=download

There is a new build up (cause who wants to study for exams right ?)
    https://drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=0B8L1lapR2kOGQnp3cmhJSENWNVU&export=download

In this build Ive added blades that rotate around a point.
    The levels is better balanced, so there is 5 levels from 1 - 100 you level up every 20 blocks.

Ive added SCREENSHAKE !!!!!!!!!

There is now a death counter and a all time best counter added.

I think we might be getting close to an actual release. I am thinking about $3 - $5 through itch.io and humble what do you guys think ?

Here is a video where the world rotates.