rAge 2014

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky - Will there be perches set up for the bald eagles?

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Can we show off Broforce there? Richard is definitely going to be attending. Possibly Ruan as well. Possibly myself.
    I will add Broforce I will say though I think its a no brainer.
    What do the premium stands entail? Is there extra space? Could we put up two screens? Is there a larger area around them for people to stand.
    I am not involved much with the premium stands. They essentially 6m2 and the costs includes branding. I do however thing they all sold out. There were only 4 slots.

I am updating the post tonight with more information from the rAge organisers.

Oh yeah, should probably say that I would like to submit zX: Hyperblast. Kinda redundant that I'll be there the entire time, and Mike will be there for Saturday and Sunday. (I think. I haven't actually checked with him but I'm 90% sure he will be there :3 )

Karuji said:
    Oh yeah, should probably say that I would like to submit zX: Hyperblast. Kinda redundant that I'll be there the entire time, and Mike will be there for Saturday and Sunday. (I think. I haven't actually checked with him but I'm 90% sure he will be there :3 )
    Added to the submissions.

Vietnam '65 will be at Rage, booth right next to MGSA stand. See you guys there....

If there is room we can submit both Neon Shadow and Tom Sparks.
    Unfortunately I don't think I can attend. Both games are on PC and support controllers.

Cheers!
    Steve.

@tbulford - I've emailed you all the submission stuff please let me know if you have received it!

Are you showing boardgames?

So, wondering if we can make it up for a visit to rAge. I'll need to hurry and see if it's possible to get us up there before the 10th, transport, and so on. Woefully ignorant on travel..
    Was wondering if perhaps there'll be a meetup around the time though, possibly with some of the CT devs in town as well? Be quite handy to meet some of the local talent from further afield while we're there :)

So, wondering if we can make it up for a visit to rAge. I'll need to hurry and see if it's possible to get us up there before the 10th, transport, and so on. Woefully ignorant on travel..
    Just do it :) hope to see you guys there.
    Was wondering if perhaps there'll be a meetup around the time though, possibly with some of the CT devs in town as well? Be quite handy to meet some of the local talent from further afield while we're there :)
    There is nothing official planned, but for the most part we all a very social bunch. I am sure we can plan something.

Any takers keen to get together one evening during rAge? Venue suggestions etc.

Can we submit board games? and if so how would it work?

Edit: We will be attending!

** UPDATE **
    We have extended the deadline for selection to Wednesday the 17th of September. If you still have not send us your press information and build please do by latest tomorrow.

Cheatsi said:
    Can we submit board games? and if so how would it work?
    Unfortunately we are not able to accept physical media games for rAge only electronic games.

Still not 100% sure about games that were exhibited last year...

Do I need to send DD press info and a build, in other words?

dislekcia said:
    Still not 100% sure about games that were exhibited last year...

Do I need to send DD press info and a build, in other words?
    Yes please I don't have the information that was sent last year. Also I meant to ask you about the card game. Is that a digital game or a traditional card game? We only hosting PC games at rAge physical games will need to be supported at some other event.

Thanks for extending the time we had to upload.

I would like to submit Metamorforest which you might have seen at AMAZE. I would be happy to be there either as a representative for the game or as a minion if needed, here is a link and the requested pictures:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8c347m4zdkwmgf/Metamorforest 2.0.exe?dl=0

Thanks
    Benjamin Crooks

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    @BenCrooks Metamorforest is really cool. I'd like to see you work a bit more on it. It feels to me like there's a lot of interesting experiences in low-hanging fruit range.

I do know of course that I had the unluckiest playthrough possible when I played it at Amaze. But if you have time please add some more events that can happen to the player, and some more elements that convey the feeling of being lost.

There's already the feeling of loneliness, you've conveyed that really well, and when I spoke to you you made it clear that there's definitely the intention of fucking with the player, but the game doesn't convey that it's intentionally messing with you (and I think that's a unique selling point if you find ways to make it more apparent and to expand on it).

e.g. Make some things a little more permanent, but just as the player feels like they can rely on those things, take them away. Like signposts, or a compass, or looping back onto your own trail, or finding a trail/river that appears to lead somewhere, or something.

At the same time, there's got to be hope. It's got to somehow feel fair. Again, I know I had the unluckiest playthrough ever, but the player is going to feel much more motivated if they anticipate some sort of victory. Maybe there's a way to show a bit of progress (like in the scenery) which will lead players to think they're getting somewhere.

I'm assuming that the game is unwinnable at the moment. But maybe that's due to the sort of playthrough I had. Thinking that the game is unwinnable meant that I had no motivation to try it again once I'd died. Ideally you want players to keep trying desperately to beat the game, and a couple of them even succeeding. But to do this the game has to convey some sort of goal (even if it is implicit).

Thanks Evan.

I really appreciate the great advice and you playing my game. You assumed right in the game being unwinnable (so don't feel too bad) :). I agree completely and hope to implement these points in the near future, they are fantastic, thanks.

I would love more advice on future versions if you are available.

The suspense is killing me! :P

Good luck with all your games at Rage this year, unfortunately I won't make it.
    This is a great effort for the community!

The list has been updated, congratulations to the guys who games were selected. Hopefully we can have more space next year to show off more games.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    Great, awesome, splendid. Thanks :)

But, FYI, we're not confirmed attending yet :P Still waiting to hear who's gonna be up there this year, and decide whether rAge is a good thing to fork out for, or if we'd be better off just heading up (or down) for a meetup instead of the chaos of an exhibition floor :) Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Congrats to the people that made the list!

But, FYI, we're not confirmed attending yet :P Still waiting to hear who's gonna be up there this year, and decide whether rAge is a good thing to fork out for, or if we'd be better off just heading up (or down) for a meetup instead of the chaos of an exhibition floor :) Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    If you you don't know why you should go there or anywhere, then don't. Any money invested in marketing should really be outcome based.

Exhibitions are like X meetups back to back, interspersed with talking to press and people who've played your game. I'd say they're better than meetups, because you get to hang out with fellow devs and creators after the floor closes and really interact with your audience while the show is going on.

I'm not going to say that rAge is better than something like AMAZE (they're different beasts, rAge won't have talks and workshops to stretch your mind and more people that aren't devs playing your stuff), but IMHO you should go to every event you can get to. Especially if you don't know why you'd be going, that's how you collect new experiences. And really, getting to rAge isn't difficult compared to trying to get to GDC or Gamescom or anything else overseas.

Going to festivals really isn't a marketing cost - it's an investment in your own energy levels.

Awesome! We're very exciting to be showing, thanks again to the organisers for the opportunity.

To those of you who have done this before, do you have any recommendations on what to prepare for? I'm specifically thinking of how many flyers,bushiness cards,t-shirts, etc. we should bring? What are the numbers like?

@dislekcia gave a very cool talk on doing shows at the last meetup, and will definitely be thinking through that again. I'm more asking of the numbers specific to rAge/the MGSA booth.

Siick!! I'm pumped.

@tbulford What are the screen resolutions?

SUGBOERIE said:
    @tbulford What are the screen resolutions?
    I will have to get back to you on that. I am sure you can assume at least 1080.

If the JHB meetup is on the second Tuesday of the month as it usually is, then you can attend both rAge and the October meet, all in one trip. :)