Make Games Indoor Soccer Team

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
edited in General
So who wants to join an indoor soccer team? Cape Town based (games happen in Claremont). If you are keen reply to this thread. What you need to know:
Max Team of 8 players for a game (though we can have more in "reserve"). Games cost R245 (so R30 a person). Game to be played on either Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, though we can exclude days that we can't play on (Thursday for me).

League starts end of September.

Who is in?

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Are there any skills requirements?

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

edited
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky Not at all.

@LexAquillia You know this already, but I'm very much in.

Also, \o/

edited
    Me and @Bevis are in if you'll take us.

I bring no skills with me. And very little potential.

@Bevis brings his almighty nicotine addiction. But he also once played some soccer.

My greatest football achievement is having once reluctantly scored 10-0 against Man U. I think it was Fifa '11. Or some such.

It's a shame I'm not in CT. Or I'd... Be able to entertain you for hours with my non-skills :P

I'd be keen. What sort of shoe requirements are there for the surface? Regular (non-looped) astroturf? Do people wear shinguards for indoor soccer?

Is it necessary to have watched soccer on TV? It might take me a while to learn the jargon.

Im tots in, but lemme see what skill level you guys are at..I know from experience that the League is flippin hard..if you aren't super fit and skilled...I suggest just jamming a few socials before deciding to do big sign ups..

dislekcia said:
    I'd be keen. What sort of shoe requirements are there for the surface?
    Depends on what exactly the surface is. If it's astro, then studs are usually prohibited and any flat shoe is fine. Although something tighter than skate shoes will be more useful ;)

If it's artificial grass (the stuff with the rubber pellets), then an actual boot with either FG or AG studs is preferable. Again, regular flat shoes are also fine.
    dislekcia said:
    Do people wear shinguards for indoor soccer?
    Not really. Not necessary.
    Is it necessary to have watched soccer on TV? It might take me a while to learn the jargon.
    Definitely. Otherwise you'll mix up your trequartistas and your catenaccios, how embarrassing...

edited
    Squidcor said:
    Definitely. Otherwise you'll mix up your trequartistas and your catenaccios, how embarrassing...
    I'll have to catch up before I enter the soccer pitch...

I think I might be in a little over my head...

edited
    Usually the only thing you need to start indoor soccer is attire you're comfortable running around in. Upgrades/unlocks can come later. Also the only skill you need to start out with is "kick foot at ball". Hitting the ball and having it go in the direction you want comes later in the skill tree. Also, you will die of unfitness the first few times you play. That's okay, so will everyone else.

I may be keen. But critical question, what time are the games (getting to Claremont at six is a challenge) and are we signing up for league? If it's going to have to be a weekly commitment for several months I'll have to think carefully about it ;)

Squidcor said:

I thought those might just be made up words but google does not lie :o

@Blackships we have no minimum skill level (I'm that good a goalie ;))
    @Dislekcia normal cross trainers/tackies/shoes
    @Mexicanopiumdog I've played the league before, yes they are good, but we will be in the bottom league with other social sides.

@Thefuntastic Game times range from 6:30pm (first) to 9:30pm (last) it all depends, but once you've got a time they tend to be consistent with it it. The idea is to join the league (which runs for three months).

I'm interested in joining, but the travelling in every week would be prohibitive. If I can be a reserve that only plays once a month or so, I can afford to drive in. I have some experience as a goalie.

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

First we need a good team name.

Then a logo.

edited
    Aw, man. Hogging all the cool stuff for CT again? I used to play a bit of indoor soccer back in the day, would be super awesome to play again, but without a 1200km commute! Clearly I have extra motivation to pay the Mountain a visit sooner rather than later, even if just to spectate!
  • MCAMCA

What/where is the venue?

@BlackShipsFilltheSky and a theme song

You can count me in good sir!

To those worrying about fitness levels, it's really not a problem - with a full compliment of 8 players you can be on the field (it's a small netted playing area) for as little time as you want, able to quickly swap out with another player as soon as you feel tired. Each team has 3 players and a goalie on field at any one time (unless someone's been carded).

Like Lex says we'd also be starting right at the bottom so we won't be up against the hardcore players.

Overall it's good fun, great exercise and doesn't take too much time out of your evening as total game time is 35 minutes.

@MCA - the venue is at the top of Stadium on Main (driving up to the top of the parking garage)

edited
    I'd love to take part in this....

I really think we need to move the Clockwork Acorn offices to Cape Town. Stellenbosch has the wine advantage, but there's just to much cool stuff happening over there.

So yeah, I'm with @francoisvn, call me if you need a rather slow/uncoordinated reserve.

Gibbo said:
    @MCA - the venue is at the top of Stadium on Main (driving up to the top of the parking garage)
    Awesome. I'll be there to spectate. Obviously we now need Make Soccer South Africa t-shirts.

I was pretty sure that we'd call the team GLHF ;)

(Or Crit Fail)

Oh and Tuesday or Friday sounds good

Are we going to meet up before the league starts for some get-to-know-each-other soccer? Just to see who plays where and if we need to raise our fitness levels before league kick-off etc...

This sounds interesting. Is there space for one more? Haven't really played this before but I'm bad at all kinds of games. :P

@Rigormortis: There is space for all who are interested! - It's a maximum of 8 players to form a team for a single game but we would definitely need more people than that in reserve, since it's always the case that in some weeks there will be people who have to miss a game for one reason or another, and being able to call on reserves (sometimes at short notice) means we'll never have to face a scenario of being under-staffed for a game.

@Mexicanopiumdog: Not a bad idea for closer to the time and would help gives folks an idea of what to expect.
  • MCAMCA

Cool! I'm up for kicking a ball about a roof top in Claremont :-)

So let us make a plan? Next week Tuesday?

Damn. I'll be at Amaze on Tuesday.

space for one more? (but also can only make it after AMAZE)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.2368.1: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.2368.1: array (
  0 => '2014-08-28 15:28:27',
  1 => '2014-09-03 11:40:28',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 62.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/index.php line 35.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 66.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.