[Sound challenge] Competition #6 - Unseen!

Comments

• MCAMCA

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    Cool, thanks @Riocide - didn't mean to put you under any kind of pressure to sort it out :-)

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    I have tried everything to get at least one sound working but for some weird shitty reason Im not managing :'(
    I drop in the new .wav file and when I open the game that sound doesnt work anymore...I have tried bouncing my sounds as Mp3 and drastically reducing the size but to no avail...HELP?!
  • MCAMCA

edited
    Also having no luck getting sounds to work - tried WAV, OGG and MP3.

Do you need to reboot the game somehow to make the new sounds take effect?

Also noticed that even though I've replaced the Taser sound, the original Taser SFX triggers when guards attack, and kill me.

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

edited
    Unfortunately we won't be able to support MP3 on native (Windows, Mac and Linux) due to licensing fees. It is very unlikely that OGG files will work now, but in the future they should (the current system assumes that the file extensions are .wav and therefore WAV files).

Once you've replaced a sound file, such as "sounds/step.wav", you should just need to restart the game and it should work.

@Mexicanopiumdog, @MCA: Could you try run Unseen from a terminal (command prompt if Windows) and see what the output is when you change a sound and it doesn't work.

If you still don't come right, can you please send me a copy of the sound file you're trying to use, so I can do some more debug work?

Sorry it isn't working for you yet, I'm sure we'll be able to figure it out :)

EDIT: I did some more fiddling and finally managed to reproduce the issue. I'll see what we can figure out ASAP.

Ok I tried it through command prompt, here is the output:

C:\Users\User\Downloads\Unseen-windows\Unseen>Invalid Wave Format!
    Error opening sound data
    Sound.hx:96: Error: Could not load "sounds/taser.wav"

Update: it seems like the build we put out won't work as-is. We didn't realise that the sound assets are "embedded" with a list of them and some hashes, so changing the files worked in our tests, but it seems like that was basically just luck. When I tried to use a much larger WAV file, I could reproduce the issue.

I have found a workaround for now and pushed an update to our repo. The sounds will still need to be WAV format for now, but at least you should be able to change them. We will try and get new updated builds out ASAP. Sorry for the false start :)

edited
    Windows and Linux versions updated. (Same links)

I've also updated the mac build in my link.
  • MCAMCA

edited
    Can't get my sounds to work :-/

Yes...still not working for me eiher...

Hey guys. I've tried some things and it appears your sounds have to be the exact format of the original ones. They are 16bit 44khz mono. The mono is very important too, because the won't play at all if they are stereo. Hope it works for you! :)

Cool I've checked this with taser.wav and step.wav, and as soon as I convert them to 16bit 44khz mono they work in game!:)
  • MCAMCA

@karl182 Didn't work for me - my files were stereo, so made them mono but still not getting playback.

@MCA Mmm that's strange. I you want you can send me one of your files to test on my side, and I'll be happy to see if I can figure someting out.

You guys should just make a Dropbox and work director through that together.
  • MCAMCA

@karl182 Here's a clip:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vle3a1vytdrzpab/distractor.wav

I'm using the Mac build, if that makes a difference. Wondering if I should add some metadata to the audio file?
    Any help is much appreciated :-)

@MCA mmm your file doesn't work for me either. I see it contains meta data that pro tools created, and if i strip that out of the file it makes the game freeze if it tries to play the file. I managed to get it working my importing it into cubase and just exporting it again. So it looks like it has something to do with the BEXT meta data that is included in your export. I don't really know pro tools, but maybe see if you can disable it when exporting. I also managed to get it working by converting your file to mp3 and converting it back to wave. This isn't ideal though but could be used as a last resort.
    Here is a link to the your file that i exported out of cubase. It works on my side so you could maybe just check if it works for you.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyzql36h40kbpnl/distractor.wav
    Hope it helps!
    Karl

@karl182 I have also tried exporting Mono 16bit 44,1khz files but to no avail! Im also using Cubase and have unchecked pretty much all the export options except Mono Mix Down...
  • MCAMCA

@karl182 No luck. Used the file you'd provided. Will check the export settings of Pro Tools, see if there's something there…

@karl182: thanks for all the support, we really appreciate it :)

I don't think it needs to be mono, I have stereo sound that worked for me, but mono is probably better. The mime data of a WAV file that works for me is: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz. I exported this from Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and made sure to select "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM" (44.1 kHz seems to be implicit).

Here's another random sfx that worked as a replacement for me: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55182426/build_room.wav

@Mexicanopiumdog, @MCA: if still no luck, can you maybe try run it in a terminal and make a note of any output? It might help us work out what's happening.

The plan forward is to add an XML file with a few lists of audio files. The main reason is so that you can have a list of music tracks, but if we extend this for sfx then it should make things a bit more flexible, and probably allow the use of OGG files. We should have this update out tomorrow or Wednesday (we would have liked today, but today is a really busy day for us). An example of the XML might be:

<list name="taser">
        <audio file="sounds/taser-1.wav" />
        <audio file="sounds/taser-2.ogg" />
      </list>
      <list name="music-tense">
        <audio file="sounds/music-1.ogg" />
        <audio file="sounds/music-2.ogg" />
      </list>

• MCAMCA

@francoisvn I get the same error message as creative630 mentions above when I run though Terminal:

Invalid Wave Format!
    Error opening sound data
    Sound.hx:96: Error: Could not load "sounds/taser.wav"

I seem to only have 2 sound assets in the project when I open it, nothing else (no scenes etc), is there something dumb I'm not doing?

@UncleBob: you might be looking in the wrong folder. Look in "unseen/sounds" not "unseen/assets/sounds" :)

@MCA: Could you try with the sample sound I uploaded? The sound clip you uploaded appears to be "RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio", vs "RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz". I think that's the issue, PCM seems to be the codec needed.

Hopefully the OGG support will be less difficult to get working when we add that (hopefully tomorrow).

Isn't there a game to load up in Unity?

(All the sounds are in the folder......maybe I should read the whole thread)

@UncleBob: The game isn't coded in Unity, we use Haxe. There should be an executable you can run (Unseen.exe for Windows). You just need to replace the sound assets with your own and run the binary, no coding required :)

I see it now, it all makes sense.
  • MCAMCA

edited
    @francoisvn The sound clip you provided worked! Renamed it step.wav and whenever I ran away from guards it triggered.

Will try a few things and see if I can get things sorted my end. Thanks!

UPDATE 19/08: @Mexicanopiumdog @francoisvn: Got my sounds to work by importing them into Audacity and exporting again. I think my DAW's default is to export as broadcast WAV, adding an info chunk making the WAV file unidentifiable by some applications it seems.

The windows and linux links have been updated and now use the list system @francoisvn mentioned earlier.

edited
    Mac build has also been updated. To edit the sound open the package contents and navigate to 'Contents/Resources/sounds/' (not 'Contents/Resources/assets/sounds\, those are use by the libraries we use, ignore them).

You can add your own sounds to the various categories by editing the appropriate spot in lists.xml, it's pretty straight forward.

Let us know how this is working.
  • MCAMCA

@Riocide All works perfectly! Is it possible to make different states for music at this stage? For example, "music-normal", "music-danger" and "music-fight".

I take it the 1.0 value is audio level? 1.0 being max and 0.0 off?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.2314.2: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.2314.2: array (
  0 => '2014-08-16 22:29:27',
  1 => '2014-08-20 09:57:20',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.