[Event] A MAZE. Johannesburg 2014

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
edited in Events
Great news! Wits University has undertaken to fund A MAZE. Johannesburg again this year. We are therefore on track for another great event. (yay for funding!)

When: 11-13 September 2014
Where: Tsimologong Technology Hub on Juta Street

A MAZE. Johannesburg will run on the 11th to the 13th of September, in Braamfontein.
We have arranged a new venue, in the Tsimologong Technology Hub on Juta Street, so all of the games and game related events will take place in the same space. (http://www.jcse.org.za/hub)

We are able to negotiate with the (revamped) Bannister Hotel for a block booking for out of town visitors. http://bannisterhotel.co.za/

Kalashnikovv Gallery (www.facebook.com/KalashnikovvGallery) have come on board and will be arranging music events and parties in the evenings in the same area.

A MAZE. Johannesburg will run as a partnership between Wits Digital Arts and the international A MAZE brand (Read: Thorsten).
I have been assigned as content curator, in collaboration with Thorsten, for the games arcade, workshops and talks.
I will also be representing MGSA, and involving MGSA as much as possible in the event.

A formal call for content will be posted soon, but in the meantime, feel free to begin submitting your games, proposals for workshops and talks, and nominating other games from South Africa, and Africa as a whole, for the event. Post them in this thread so we can keep it all together.

I have also been in negotiation with the Swedish Embassy and Swedish Institute about bringing out Swedish indi-game designers. They are on board, and I will be visiting Sweden and the Nordic Games conference in May to approach people for the festival and to build partnerships for indi-games between the countries. (I'm not sure what that means either, but they have a string of meetings arranged, and I will be talking to Nick about what to expect from 'trade missions')

I am very exited about this, and so please to be able to finally confirm with you all that it is definitely up and running for 2014!

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Wunderbar! So many people were keen on coming to AMAZE at GDC, so I'm going to be doing a lot of telling people today :)

Sweden's got an indie scene that's a lot further along than ours here, it's not just all Mojang - there's a strong creative dev history of people doing really interesting things. A skills transfer would be amazing!

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    This is some exciting stuff. Hope we can get our game worthy enough for the festival.

The Sweden partnership sounds super exciting! :D

Another Hard Deadline™ to get my ducks in a row for! So exciting! :D

I propose: the A MAZE JOBURG mascot:

I am very excited to come and spend time with everyone at Amaze again this year :) Very excited

I would like to showcase MONTEZ there if no one objects. It will be great if we could meet with international devs.

A MAZE./JOBURG unicorn head T-SHIRT. Who wants one? :D

I'm thinking it would be a great way to raise something for us :)

@hanli, can you please ask Thorsten for the original vector? If it's alright to use it, of course.
    It was on their poster, and I haven't seen it big enough anywhere else online.

Of course I can just trace it but it would be nice to get the real thing :)

Not to rain on your parade @Tuism, but all I see when I look at that mascot/logo is this thing, with all it's connotations:

It took me a while to understand how it was supposed to be a unicorn... I'd suggest making the head shape an actual horse head. It can still have the derpy-happy grin ;)

Wowwwww, I've never thought of that, at all. Why oh why the hell does everything these days have to turn into a sexism debate :/

The face came from AMAZE Berlin, making it a horse is kinda... well then we might as well make our own...

I mean really:

Horse:

With a notch that breaks the shape of the circle:

lol. Thats not a horse. It's the pig from SAW!

lol the point is that it was supposed to be a simple shape and it came from A MAZE :)
    here's a better horse but i'm not sure if this is right. I don't see the sex symbol in the original, feels like finding a man symbol in that isn't going to be common at all,,,

I think the base of the tower needs an obvious intersection point on the head. Then it'll read like a horn.

I really think it's sufficient that the tower points left. Male symbol is conventionally right. Truth be told, I think the shaft itself is far more suggestive of the Venutian crossbar than an arrow, anyway.

We're in deep shit once we enter the Hall of Mirrors, though.

Honestly, I never ever saw a male symbol. I like the original with the notch. The idea of the re-use of the Berlin one appeals to me as well,

The woman (women?) speaks! :P

Can I remind us to get the file from Thorster? :) and all the logos we'll need? :) Can make the poster too!

I think we've avoided talking about the elephant in the room long enough...

Will there be a Cape Town Game Dev Road Trip Bus this year? Preferably a chrome plated one.

I'll have to take a plane jam first just for that.

Careful, you'll have half of joburg taking a flight down just so that they can train-jam back up :P

hanli said:
    Careful, you'll have half of joburg taking a flight down just so that they can train-jam back up :P
    I would actually do that. (We know I'm not shy of going down to CT for dev events ;) )

I would fly down to get on a train!

Indeed, that sounds damn epic, when do I have to take leave for? ;)

Yes! Not missing this after missing last year!

Shotgun a seat on the bus trip from CT!

edited
    dislekcia said:
    I think the base of the tower needs an obvious intersection point on the head. Then it'll read like a horn.
    I agree on this one. I feel as though a simple white line along the left side of the tower and curving slightly at the bottom would work better than the notch in terms of clarifying that it's a horn :)

@Hanli

What is the final date that we can submit a game to show case at A.MAZE Johannesburg? We'd like to show a polished version of Alien Lobotomy

I am not sure yet - I am still in discussions with Thorsten about the details.
    I would suggest submissions by the end of June, so you can be notified by the end of July, so you have August to polish?

where/how do we submit?

Ahem, just another reminder about getting assets for AMAZE so we can get the t-shirt and poster design started and dusted sooner than later!

Just another another reminder. Train Jam.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1927.1: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1927.1: array (
  0 => '2014-04-15 09:39:28',
  1 => '2014-05-12 22:57:10',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 62.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/index.php line 35.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 66.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.