[beta] Dead Run

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    From that video, I'm guessing that your hitbox has moved because of the iPhone 6 higher resolution, you using absolute values somewhere?

This is an interesting game and thread, keep us updated, can't wait until you start posting some download stats and PR experiences :)

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Can confirm the startup bug on an iPad 4th gen (Retina device).

Also if you're going to be making an update anyway, the buttons are little bit uncomfortably close to the centre of the screen if you're playing on a tablet device. Some kind of anchoring to the sides might be a good idea ;)

You're very welcome, glad I could help. @TheFuntastic the funny thing is it doesn't seem like the touch area is actually broken (as in interactive area too small or something), because After hitting that bat button a few times anywhere on the left does kick things off. Unless those are two areas that get turned on/off or resized at some point in that startup sequence?

Oh, it might be worth updating your store page to inform players/buyers that you're aware of the bug on some retina devices and working on a fix.

@mattbenic that's a great idea, doing it now. Is it customary, or ok, or not ok, for me to actually say "this is a beta release while we are working out bugs", or should we just say we are aware of some bugs and am working on an update asap?

If it wasn't originally publically positioned as a beta, I'd be hesitant to change to that line now. People have payed for it (the tricky part of going out paid ;)) so suddenly saying "oh btw this was beta didn't we tell you" might not be great.

So I should have sent it out as beta, right?

I think that because it was just silent released... Effectively 2-3 days ago in two remote territories, there should be very little downloads as of right now, no? According to stats it seems to be 6 (lol and we can account for 3/4 of those amongst ourselves), so it's still really a non-issue being concerned about people getting the idea that it changed its tune post-release.

So it comes down to - should I say that it is a beta? (not in the title, but in the description) Or is that frowned upon in general?

Yeah then I think mentioning it's in limited beta in the description would probably be ok. That way any users you do pick organically up may be more forgiving of bugs, etc.
    With low starting numbers (you haven't marketed yet after all) I don't think you can go too far wrong either way.

You should probably be getting on that though (marketing). Considering you're already at the point of sellable builds, I'm surprised you haven't. I would have expected there to be some discussion on TouchArcade and things like that by now.

I'd HIGHLY recommend a post there about the game, and that it is available on limited stores for those that want to check it out. They're a very interactive community and you'll likely get some good feedback (and really, getting the TA site itself to show interest in you can only help).

Actually after playing again I find the hit areas are actually wider than the buttons and I can use my thumbs near the edge. Not sure if that is intentional. Would be better if the sprites matched as well. ;)

And yeah seems only on the start screen the hit areas are way off.

I don't think you need to say beta, maybe just being honest about the fact you've found bugs and trying to fix it fast as possible. ;)

@mattbenic Solid advice! Funny thing is that I went over there and found that someone already started a thread about Dead Run! http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=3388832#post3388832

I've posted there and asked if I should start a new thread to lead the OP with my info. Or maybe just give them the info to place into OP. I think it they would respond better if I asked first than to just go ahead and start a new thread.

I'm simultaneously happy and slightly peeved at myself for not doing it earlier. Gonna have to go to other forums too to post about it. But I always thought the silent releases are supposed to be silent until you actually release XD

@TheFuntastic Yeah, the actual button area covers the entire half of the screen, but to indicate that... I tried a few times, is a bit too distracting in all the methods I've tried. One of the things I tried was to leave the circular border out of the button, but then it didn't read like a button. So as such I actually think it's ok that it looks like a button but the hit area covers the entire screen. It's an ease of use thing, for me.

Which device are you using? What a strange bug, because we tried it on a bunch of stuff, including Retina stuff, but I guess iPad + Retina breaks things because quadruple resolution :/

Hey guys, we're having trouble getting our Game Centre stuff to hook up - achievements and leaderboards aren't registering. Is there something we need to do besides enabling Game Centre on itunesconnect that we need to do? Because we have done that, and am using the right calls from within Unity.

The achievements and scoreboards were visible in sandbox mode, by the way.

Halp!

Been too long since I touched that stuff to be much use, maybe @chippit or @angrymoose have input?

Make sure you're using the correct provisioning profile and/or entitlement plist. Guessing it won't work with a Dev profile and you'll need to set it up and test with an adhoc one. Guessing Unity automates entitlements though.

Must be plenty of online walkthroughs (and Stackoverflow) to go through to look for what you're missing.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    OK, This Is For Real This Time Now :D

DEAD RUN IS READY FOR RELEASE! I'm first looking for some press to send some pre-release promo codes to so that I can prepare first wave mailer with some proper material. I've already started with some existing contacts, if anyone knows someone who might be interested in promo copy, let me know :)

I'm using distribute() - Vlambeer/Rami's thing, and I must say it looks really good. Lots of details covered in its deceptively simple system.

Dead Run distribute() press request link: http://dodistribute.com/access/3lXA3EymmN/

Just wanted to give a huge ass thank you to everyone here, you're all godparents to our first actual game ever. *tears*

I CAN CUT MY HAIR SOON. OMG.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    Hi guys! The first batch of promo codes has revealed a very bizarre and specific error - it seems as if the sharing module crashes only on iPad Air with iOS 8.1... As we didn't have an iPad Air we hadn't been able to test and replicate that particular problem, so...

Can I ask you guys a favour? Who has an iPad Air and can help maybe attempt replicate the error on so we can make sure that's it? If you have iPad Air please head on over here to get a promo code for testing:
    http://dodistribute.com/access/3lXA3EymmN/

We've tested on a variety of devices we do have and there's no problem as far as we can tell.

We're also contacting the Unity plugin makers. What a bizarre problem :/

What a bizarre problem
    Welcome to the wonderful world of actually shipping a finished product ;)