Urgent funding request for two underprivileged students

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
edited in Association News
Hey all,

We have been abstractly discussing the possibilities of crowd funding bursaries for students. I am now however in a situation where two great candidates for first year game design need funding to be able to continue their studies. There state bursaries will pay for all of their other courses (long story) but I need to desperately raise funds for them to take the two Game Design courses in 2014. This is quite urgent, and I don't know where else to turn.

The FULL amount that I would need to raise is R 22 728.00.
This would pay for game design for both of them. The state will pick up their full funding from 2015.

They are Thsetso Radebe, and Tumelo Thabane. They were both raised in Sebokeng. They have exceptional matric results, and show a lot of promise and passion for game design.

I know that we have not yet sorted out all of the requirements and rules, but this has been brought to my attention yesterday, and finding them funds now is absolutely urgent.

This is an irregular request, and we can sort out the details as we go, but right now, I am begging for community help.

You can make a donation straight into the MGSA account using the following details:

Name: Make Games South Africa
Acc: 62382993246
Type: Business Account (Cheque will do)
Branch: 250655
Bank: FNB

Please put bursary as your reference!

Or go here: http://makegamessa.com/bursary and donate via Paypal!

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    I can give cash. To whom and by when?

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    I can try spare some cash as well, where can we donate?

A bit broke right this moment - by when do you need to raise this?

I'm not too well off at the moment, but I can spare R1000, anyone with me? Lots of little bits we can all reach this *hurra* :)

I assume we can run this through the MGSA account? I'll update OP with the details, busy sorting out a paypal button as well

I have some cash in paypal so if we can go that route I can donate some.

you can pay into a paypal account from a card as well :) all bases are covered

OP updated, paypal button live at http://makegamessa.com/bursary

For EFT, which bank is the account with?

@AlphaSheep: I believe it's FNB.

Done :)

omg. thank you....
    This is such an amazing community. I'll get all the details posted as soon as I'm done tearing up.

edited
    So is the donate button actually updating amounts? I want to tweet that page out, but not if people can't see their donations making a difference in real time ;)

P.S. QCF says hi.

edited
    When's the latest you need it by?

EDIT: never mind - it says middle March on the page

What update button? Can't see one. And yes I want to tweet it but that amount ain't changing...

Give me an hour to get more info on the boys and a pick, then we can tweet...
    They need to pay in a months time.

Thank you thank you!

Tuism said:
    What update button? Can't see one. And yes I want to tweet it but that amount ain't changing...
    My bad, I meant "donate". It's just updated the amount, so we're good.

As cool as it'll be to watch that Paypal figure go up, I'd rather these kids get any money lost in the stupid exchange rate, so could you also put down some local bank details for a transfer, and possibly also show a manually updated amount donated directly to the account? Perhaps we can get some crowd funding-like steam rolling effect happening :)

Holy crap that jumped up!

Exchange rate? Right now foreign dollars going in is probably way better than rands :P

My money resides in the Paypal so I'm fine with that myself, but yeah locals probably are more comfortable with bank accounts etc.

Go figure go! :D

I'm playing with the PayPal API to automatically show the amount. They used to provide an off-the-shelf one but PayPalLabs is no more :(

Well, if I need to BUY Dollars first, then MGSA ends up SELLING them to get Rands, we're talking a loss of R50 or so per R1000 donated (give or take). That's not too mention the 1.5% commission that Paypal takes when both buying and selling... so add on an extra R30, and you're approaching a 10% loss of funds.

I'd much rather MGSA has that for these or future kids than FNB and Paypal :)

@AngryMoose Our bank details are on the OP (and on the donate page now as well *hopefully*) :)

Thanks! Make sure to watch your account and update the HTML as you receive funds there too!

@AngryMoose, done!

Ready to tweet :) (i think)

Miiiiight want to fix up the css so the div encapsulates the image ;)

edited
    Is there any chance of getting some video footage (of the guys in question or Hanli tearing up :P) or something we could put on YouTube to share?

Wowzers... Over $900 dollars donated through paypal. Over halfway there just with Paypal! Nicely done everyone!

@duncanbellsa, not quite. I've combined the total from Paypal with amounts received via EFT
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1662.1: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1662.1: array (
  0 => '2014-02-13 11:27:48',
  1 => '2014-02-13 23:39:16',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 62.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/index.php line 35.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/views/discussion/discussion.php line 66.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.