Request: MGSA flyer/poster design

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Thanks for letting us humans know :)

(I'm still sick at home today, so incidentally...)

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    Tuism said:
    Thanks for letting us humans know :)

(I'm still sick at home today, so incidentally...)
    :) Google cares very much about figuring out what your website is about so that they can show people that would be interested. The problem is trying to tell Google. And trying to still be appealing to humans. Got the second bit a bit wonky cause I didn't think about the size of the text - we probably need a designer more closely involved in this process...

The current thinking is reduce the text, include some more headings, and bring back the bigger buttons on the side :)

To be fair, at those people complaining about the homepage - very few people visit that page at all. Most traffic goes to particular forum posts :) But yes, for new visitors, we need to clearly direct them to our other assets and to the events and to the forum discussions.

Please be patient though - it is a work in progress!

If I might make a suggestion for the homepage:

Bullet point > paragraphs.

Also titles are important ;)

This makes me happy:

number one baby :)

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    This makes me happy:

number one baby :)

:3 This makes me happy too. Especially when I checked in incognito mode - and it's still true!

...Still need to fix the search extensions though. But yes. Happy :D

edited
    Karuji said:
    If I might make a suggestion for the homepage:

Bullet point > paragraphs.

Also titles are important ;)
    I do love the bullet points - At the time of writing it didn't look like it would work so well. Will definitely look into it. But I think a better division of content with images/icons and headings will help the writing flow :)

Can I also point out that the whole website copy update document is an 11 page document - So there's a lot that is happening :)

When did that happen? :D Very well done guys :)

In any case we need much more headings and buttonage than paragraphs. Whether the text is cut down or not, it's the major headings that'll grab attention - and we need to pack a lot above the fold, so we need to actually pick the battles to fight and not try to fit EVERYTHING above the fold. People can scroll. But they won't read :P

Tuism said:
    In any case we need much more headings and buttonage than paragraphs. Whether the text is cut down or not, it's the major headings that'll grab attention - and we need to pack a lot above the fold, so we need to actually pick the battles to fight and not try to fit EVERYTHING above the fold. People can scroll. But they won't read :P
    Do you want to have a look at the text document and suggest where things would go?

edited
    Oh gods so much text.

I'll have a look. Can I do a wireframe layout?

What's the font you're using?
    We can change the right bar at will, right?
    Can we make more or less columns if we wanted?

Tuism said:
    Oh gods so much text.

I'll have a look. Can I do a wireframe layout?

What's the font you're using?
    We can change the right bar at will, right?
    Can we make more or less columns if we wanted?
    Wireframes? Yes, please, 100% go.

My personal thinking is that we should keep the home page consistent with the rest of the site - spacing and columns wise.

edited
    BTW, I thought O week was this past week and why the urgency - when was the poster stuff meant for?

What the hell is Dr Newton's Maths Wiz?

I still have some trickery up my sleeve before Tuism re-builds the homepage; and there are a couple of gotchas because you have to combine the custom page plugin and theme.

Dr Newton's Maths Wiz was one of the prototypes here, it was among the most complete, actually :) why?

And yeah I searched a bunch of combinations and looks like we're firmly up there :) I think "sa game dev jobs" and "sa game companies" could do with some SEOing tho nothing major. And I see sagamedev.co.za is still hitting, lol :p

And yeah would be nice to get the requirements down one go :) can the old one not be put up in the meantime with the new shiny SEO text incorporated in tags or under the content which will still work for SEO purposes? Just for now.

Went for some Google Minus Google searches:

How can I make games in south africa,
    where can I learn to make games in south africa,
    Some other similar wordings that I cannot remember.

Tops on all of them ;)

edited
    Fengol said:
    What the hell is Dr Newton's Maths Wiz?
    To get rid of that link, you need to try demoting it: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/47334?hl=en

@dammit, done! Let's see if it works

@Tuism "BTW, I thought O week was this past week and why the urgency - when was the poster stuff meant for?"
    I just used one of the first ones :P Not yet polished, but good enough for an emergency. :)

I just placed some posters around UCT, thanks very much!

@Tuism - Any chance we can get a YouTube background and matching header?

Huh, I'm pretty sure I've done one already, isn't the channel art the one?

@Tuism - Epic fail. I was thinking Twitter, and somehow typed Youtube...

Ah. Will do... later :P

Thanks!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1604.3: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1604.3: array (
  0 => '2014-02-06 16:43:50',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.