Request: MGSA flyer/poster design

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    For me they're decorative elements that show more gaminess, was gonna be mario but of course that's other peoples' property. Otherwise looking at local games, what fits?

DD perhaps
    Toxic yeah
    Viscera not at all
    Broforce... OH yeah, that'll fit

But I think these community made sprites have a nice feeling about them :) And there's a story to tell there, when people ask "what are those?" - we can tell them about our comps :)

Also I don't wanna create a situation where "where's my game? Is it not good enough??" thing and then we have to stick on a million things - I just wanted a few things :P

[edit - updated the previous post's files with the ms logo removed]

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    My vote goes to leaving the sprites as they are, with the singular addition of having a goat grazing on the grass somewhere.

My vote goes to leaving the sprites as they are, with the singular addition of having a goat grazing on the grass somewhere.
    See, that's exactly what I'm talking about :P

@Hanli, how do you want to get these printed?

@Tuism - Can we get the same kind of art as in the flyers for the FB and YT accounts? Our other volunteer designer is kind of PC-less at the moment and you've basically created what I asked from him in the mean time ;) I can send the exact dimensions if you need?

ok cool, you looking for FB cover photo and youtube header background... thin?

Yup. Both of those. Not sure what you mean by thin?

....... what I don't even know what that means. I don't think I typed it. Or I might be high. Errrr.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    Here we go, quick n dirty optimised for each medium. Put it up and lemme know if there's any problems. Logos not included cos the logo is present in each social media pages' icon.

edited
    @Tuism - Love it. Could you remove the social media icons from both? It kinda makes no sense :P

PS: Take a look at YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeGamesSouthAfrica <- Do you think you could get me a better fitting logo - possibly with some clouds/blue in it?

Why not the social media in facebook? It's still good to note that there's twitter and youtube for it? I see there are buttons on Youtube already.

I've taken the FB icon out of the fb one :)

The youtube icon should be plain because it's used in other places too, not just here on the top of the bar, and clear white is more prominent. I wonder why it was cut off in the first place?

Thanks!

Uploads done on YouTube and I landed up updating our G+ page too, since it's connected and the YouTube cover fits nicely.

@Bensonance will upload the FB one a little later today - or when he gets a chance.

The icon's not changed on the YT page, or do I have a cached version? :)

Changed on my side - I'm on a different PC :) Maybe it is cached on your side?

Changed but doesn't have the type, did that get removed intentionally? If so I'd change the spacing around it so it's not so tight :P

Oh you're talking about the logo.

I think it looks a bit cluttered with text in the logo's space. That spot is really just for an image - It's got the words Make Games South Africa right underneath and a link to the website on the banner. Also, in search, it shows up next to the words "Make Games South Africa by Make Games South Africa "

I'm really not sure how many more times you want to say our name in such a small space? If anything, I'd rather have it repeated in the banner.

Take a look at apple's clean look: http://www.youtube.com/user/Apple

Do we want our logo to speak for itself? I'd really love to get to a point where people see the logo, and have the immediate association. If the wording is always there on the logo, I don't believe that will happen because your brain switches to understand language rather than interpreting images.

Yeah I agree, don't include the text then, was never my intention to have the text, the logo's very tight in that space though.

Tuism said:
    Yeah I agree, don't include the text then, was never my intention to have the text, the logo's very tight in that space though.
    Oh. Do you want to get the spacing improved? I just cropped it as centrally as I could.

It's dangerous outside! Here, take this :)

Yay :) Though I wish it wouldn't auto-compress like that, is there a size for that it wouldn't auto-compress? Just wondering. No biggie though. Can we use the same for our Twitter icon and such? :)

edited
    @Tuism - Not that I know of. Sadly, I'm not an image person, and i wouldn't know a compressed logo from one that isn't :P

@Bensonance is the one in control of Twitter and Facebook, and I'm sure he'll get to update the logos on those platforms when he gets a breather :)

Edit.

On a general note, I'm really pleased that we'll have flyers going out that will bring people back to some social media pages that all look just like the flyers. This makes me really happy. Like, really happy.

So happy, that I've been sifting through the YouTube videos and creating playlists and updating their descriptions and titles. Not as much fun as it sounds cause the Tube can be clunky.

Let me just say: I love you guys :')

edited
    Any chance we can update the flyers to highlight the Meetup.com to get information about up-coming events? Between @Bensonance and I we must pre-load all the community events and confirmed events as soon as possible. A good example of a local, well updated Meetup is DeveloperUG who share Microsoft's offices with us in JHB on Community Night.

Don't forget to use the bit.ly link so you can track usage!

edited
    Not exactly sure what you mean, but what you're saying I should update a physical print file with information that you haven't created yet? What?

Put the meetup.com link ON THE HOMEPAGE instead of on a poster. That link can change. Print stuff wants to go somewhere iconic and permanent - bit.ly links generated per event is not permanent nor iconic and much less likely to get people to remember and act on.

Update the makegamessa homepage with the things you need. Event section.

Edit: I see the homepage is a textbook again. Noone will read all that, or rather, people won't be bothered to read, figure out and pick a link, and may get disinterested and leave.

Can we please work on something non-confusing?

Should I?

Sorry, I must have been confused. I meant to say can we put http://meetup.com/Make-Games-Johannesburg/ and www.meetup.com/Make-Games-Cape-Town/ on the flyer? Those are permanent links.

Yes, the homepage is busy being updated.

OK I'll put them on, but they'll be tiny, and I doubt anyone will actually go to those instead of makegamessa.com, where they should go and find good happy buttons that say "JHB MEETUP DETAILS CLICK HERE" or some other such happy button :)

I am a fan of a single URL on a poster with big happy buttons. People gotta write that shit down slash remember it and one big URL works better for that :)

I tried it and it cried kittens at me. What's the reasoning behind *having to* put those meetup links there? You'd rather people go to those secondary sites than go to makegamesSA.com?

Cos makegamesSA.com should be *the one takeaway*. Making people remember more or do more at a time simply doesn't work.

I've got to agree with @Tuism here. The problem with putting so many links on the flyer is that it creates this confused impression of us being not sure what we actually want them to do. What do we actually want here? They need to visit makegamessa.com and from there we can direct everyone to everything else

PS: Yes, the "textbook" on the homepage isn't actually for humans, it's for google. But I'm working with Fengol on making a humanised version :)

Oh, to be able to sit down with the team and work together on design, copy and tech. But alas, we must communicate via IM and google docs and sometimes we're not sure what it's going to look like til it's done and we're sneaking off to the forums during a work meeting instead of typing notes...
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1604.2: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1604.2: array (
  0 => '2014-02-04 13:06:29',
  1 => '2014-02-06 16:41:29',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.