The Make Games South Africa Members Bursary

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
edited in Association News
One of my goals for MGSA this year was to start a bursary program for people wanting to study Game Design. I've been trying to get corporate buy-in but it is going slow. So now I'm turning to the members of the community. Would you be willing and able to donate to a fund for a Bursary for game design?

I'm looking at a starting amount of R40,000.00 (we have about 200 active members, which is a donation of R200 per member), which is enough to cover the academic fees for a student to go to Wits (which I'm using as a baseline).
  • The bursary would be administered by the Committee and the process of selection of the beneficiary will be open and public.
  • Preference will be given to students who demonstrate financial need, and have a strong academic record.
  • The bursary will be for undergraduate study (for now)
  • The bursary will be open to any reputable education institution with a solid game design course.
In the long run I'd like to make this a sustainable venture where we have enough capital that can payout for a full bursary (to cover fees, accomodation etc) on an annual basis and look to expand it to multiple bursaries and perhaps even have a post-graduate one (where we can then start asking for specific research to be done ;P)

So, are you in? For now I'm just trying to gauge interest from the members, and if you'd want to add anything to the requirements for the bursary? If there is enough support we'll rig up a means for people to make donations, and look at some additional fund-raising events to make up what ever shortfall there is and start working on the capital amount.

Nick

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    R200? Yeah why the heck not. Is there a hat we can chuck it into?

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    I am assuming the 40k would cover one year only?

I'm willing to contribute to this. I searched everywhere for a bursary of this type and found none. This will be great to help those who want to go into game design. I know that Learn3D also has a few courses available that can be done in one year. I'll definitely contribute to this.

@tbulford. Ypu R40K is for one year. The idea is to expand and do fundraising to make it more sustainable (so we don't need to rely on donations every year) but it makes it easier to sell the idea once we've already done it once, so we are going to have to be the ones to start it :)

R200 per year per member is completely reasonable, but I'm more wondering about sustainability and the point of it - can we really educate a game maker in a one year course? If my experience here is anything to go by, the ability to get into game design relies much more on self-motivation and self-study than on just one year of academia (not to diss academia, but one year courses with no background simply doesn't sound enough to me, and the background of candidates who want to get into the field will likely be filled with "i love playing games so i'll be passionate about making them".)

How do we select people who will actually stick with and come out of the course with substance? Some ideas (probably silly):
    1. Prerequisites of some programming background?
    2. Portfolio? Not necessarily of games made, but something to prove aptitude.
    3. Interview?

Well I guess I'm only coming up with standard stuff that everyone knows about. Anyone have insights?

@Tuism well it wouldn't need to be just for a one year course, we could send (and I hope too) a person through an entire 3 year degree (for example). I like the portfolio idea, and we could actually make it a requisite of the bursary that they have to submit prototypes here on the boards....

edited
    @LexAquillia I am pretty sure Celestial would be keen to donate to something like this. I dont suspect all of the 200 members will be able to make a donation but I expect 40k is not a huge number to reach either way.

@Tuism selection criteria for a candidate could be anything from a panel reviewing cv's to only taking 2nd year students into account. There are a few established ways this could be tackled.

One thing that I have seen having done some work in the government sector around the SAADP with SASRIA is there is an ongoing requirement to review a students progress and attendance as much as one to fund the course costs. Also if we can only afford to cover the direct costs the indirect costs will need to be assured. Indirect meaning transport/accommodation etc.

Personally I would be happy to make a donation.
    As an alternative, although in the longer term, the company I started has a founding principle of 10% of all profits go to community development.
    We're busy working on our first product, but I will stay in touch - I'm sure the other directors would be very open to using some of that 10% to donate to this cause.

@LexAquillia, this is a great initiative. Thanks for the efforts!

@LexAquillia: Is MGSA registered as non-profit yet? ie. tax incentive for donating individuals / companies?

I think it's a great idea (as long as all the caveats already mentioned are taken care of ;-)).

Personally, I am interested; so are we as company. I'll speak to our other director ;)

@AngryMoose, yes, but no tax benefits for donating to the Association (Either we get tax benefits for donations or we get to be an Industry Association, we can't have both). If there is sufficient interest (and money) I'll look at setting up a trust to handle this going forward to get the Tax Benefit. I believe people can still claim back up to R10,000.00 for donations though (even if we don't have the certificate).

I've just spoken to our other director about this... and I agree that its a great idea, and something we would definitely support. Tax incentives would also be a cool idea. But I agree that it would be important to make this sustainable, probably the best way to do that though is to start off small and do it properly, and then to build from there.

I'm in. With bells on.

This is my single biggest request every time anyone allows me to open my mouth: we need bursaries.

The problem we are having at Wits game design is simply that good students who are passionate about the field can not afford to study. They are therefor being 'poached' into other degree programs where corporate funding is available to pay for their studies. So a great candidate would be accepted for Game Design, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. Game Design is their passion, but it will cost them R40K a year, where Eskom, Telcom, Sasol and others (the SANDF is one as well) will pay for their studies and pay them a stipend to study Mechanical or Electrical. So no matter how much they want to study game design, or how good they may be, it is not realistic. They don't have the funds to begin with, so they go elsewhere where they will also gain additionally and be guaranteed a post for a year or two. (at this point all they want is to study so they don't see the barbs in this yet) This is especially the case with black and female candidates, as these companies target them specifically for bursaries. These students are therefor financially funneled into set career paths artificially creating a 'white male' environment on the peripheries. In my experience, reviewing over 300 applications per year, interest in the field is almost equal across race and gender, but for many of these candidates it just does not make financial sense. The only offers of place in the course that have ever been declined were all as a direct result of funding where candidates were offered substantial bursaries for study in other fields.

There are many different ways in which bursaries like these are awarded. In all cases it needs to be cleared with the institution's fees and scholarships office, which differs from place to place.
    The first step would be to make sure that the student applying has been accepted at a reputable institution (whichever it may be) and is not applying 'in hopes of' or at a 'random' place.
    You then request a letter of motivation from the institution itself (usually the degree coordinator) and from the applicant.
    Most often a detailed academic record is required.
    Here you can also request a portfolio/set skills, but I would advise against having these criteria too rigid, as it cuts off applicants with potential but no prior experience.
    In some cases applicants can be required to demonstrate financial need (there are set procedures for this, obtainable from the institution in question).
    It is also possible to at this stage give preference to a transformation initiative and favor black or female candidates.

An example:
    We have one bursary from a software company currently. What happened there is that we, as an institution, appealed to them on behalf of the student. His academic results were submitted and financial need demonstrated. He was then invited to an interview, and given a psychometric test: they look for aptitude rather than experience. Once accepted, the company then gives the University an undertaking to cover the student's fees and the company is then invoiced. This is arranged with the Fees and Scholarships offices respectively. The student then needs to meet with the company at set intervals (in this case it is with HR monthly) and report on his progress and results.

We could obviously do any variation on this theme.

Yeah I'm in as well! A really great idea!

Small suggestion: Instead of asking for R200 upfront, why not let people donate in increments? Or in as much as they feel they want to donate, like the humble bundle.

I agree with @dammit, but R200, that's really not much, so I am in for that; would be glad to help and see this leads to bigger things.

I don't mind R200 a year for a good cause.

As someone who's undergraduate studies were paid for by a bursary from a fledgling industry association, I can definitely support this idea. I'd also be happy to dig out my old contract and share the conditions.
    tbulford said:

... there is an ongoing requirement to review a students progress and attendance as much as one to fund the course costs.
    I lecture a class of engineers, and last year there were a couple students who had to come to me after every lecture and get a form signed to prove that they had attended the lecture. While I understand why the company would want to do this, I have 240+ students in my class, and it's not exactly easy to spot specific faces in the crowd. Anyway, I think consistent feedback of marks is far more meaningful than attendance.

I'm definitely in, but maybe a general donation fund can be set up instead with unspecified amounts, and which can also be used for any cause that could help our industry. Make it visible on the site, and allow anyone to participate. Then we can have campaigns (like this one) with specific targets when needed and publicise it. You can also tie this in with some corporate sponsorship and have competitions, etc. to elevate it further.

As long as the spend is transparent to the members I would gladly donate more than R200, and regularly as well.

...... Anyway, I think consistent feedback of marks is far more meaningful than attendance.
    I certainly don't advocate the constant policing. If you need that your interview process was not good enough. I am just saying that some administrative oversight is a good idea.

farsicon said:
    I'm definitely in, but maybe a general donation fund can be set up instead with unspecified amounts, and which can also be used for any cause that could help our industry.
    Personally, I prefer a crisp goal - put a student through varsity (or such) - in this case something I believe in, which makes it easy to decide to hand over my money. If another crisp goal I believe in comes up, I'll donate again. The idea of a vague fund for things that could benefit our industry (who will decide o.0?) is not so appealing.

Not to say such things cannot be managed, branded and promoted under the same umbrella; mostly I just like to know if I give money towards some cause, it goes there, and not somewhere else.

I'm totally 100% behind this. Were it necessary, I would happily drop 5 times that much.

Chippit said:
    I'm totally 100% behind this. Were it necessary, I would happily drop 5 times that much.
    This is why I'm keen for an unspecified amount - which will allow those who have more, or want to donate more, to do so.

Previously, @Merrik has suggested having a visible progress bar, so that everyone knows how much funding something still needs etc.

I have no intention of limiting how much you want to donate :) (I was just making the point that if everyone donated, you'd only need R200 from each person).

I'm not in favour of policing as well. But it might be interesting to get a commitment from the beneficiary to attend at least 5 of the Meetups and to put up at least one prototype? Or attend at least 1 game jam? The idea being that they start interacting with the community and start getting some practice on actual game dev?

I'm glad the response has been so positive so far :D You guys rock!

I'll talk to the other on the committee and look at getting the practical implications of this setup so we can get going.

If the beneficiary wouldn't even attend meetups regularly, I fail to see them having enough motivation to be a beneficiary in the first place. I mean we all have jobs and we still make a conscious effort to come. If transport for the potential beneficiary is a problem we could arrange to help. But at the end of the day it's about motivation, pure and simple.

Perhaps as part of the interview process we should have people attend the meetup, and if they persevere and return to the meetup WILLINGLY then they would have a step in the door.

Just evaluate their participation and output in the community in the year preceding the course. For example, potential candidates should already show interest this year to qualify for next year. At least for a few months. That also has the further benefit of allaying any illusions they may have about game dev.

Having already been a part of the community is a pretty shit requirement TBH.

We're talking about kinds for what is likely to be an impoverished background attending a well established and well known university or institution. MGSA is what a year and a half old? Can we REALLY expect them to know about us?

And while I believe that this should only go to suitable candidates I know that Wits' game dev is super competitive, and that the kids going there do work really hard at it, but I feel like forcing a bunch of arbitrary prerequisite would make us as bad as the bureaucrats that are stopping these kids from getting bursaries in the first place.

And if they are in financial need it means that they won't be able to drive themselves to community nights. So someone is going to have to fetch them university and then drive all the way back to drop them off at res. So I don't really find this a suitable prerequisite. Attendance at meetings should be encouraged, not forced.

@karuji: if you are that disadvantaged, then tuition fees is the least of your worries imho and finding the ambition and motivation to make such a big leap will be too challenging. I'm all for helping, but you just need to be realistic as well.

edited
    I'm super happy to donate, even more so after @hanli bringing up the point about how we're screwing up our (already crappy) demographics because of the playing field not being even, with the bursaries and things that are offered by competing courses. I hadn't considered that.

I'd strongly push for the receiver of the bursary to intern at a game studio for some portion of their holidays. While I'd like them to come to meetups and stuff too, I feel that on-the-job training offers great perspective that sheds light on the theoretical work that they may be learning at a school. And it's a different kind of learning that you get having to work with professionals on some project to the kind of learning you'd get by chatting at a meetup.

On an art-related note, if there are candidates who've got a massive passion for being game artists, there are alternatives. We have a couple of really hard-working, passionate guys at Arcade who taught themselves (or, more accurately, learnt through interaction with online communities), and who I feel have significantly stronger portfolios than those of us who attended art schools. If funding's a problem, but the work ethic is there, I think providing internet access (possibly the biggest hurdle?) and some direction is a really strong alternative to going to an art school, especially given how expensive art schools mostly are. The game art community has self-run workshops and several art competitions throughout the year; heck, they even put together resources with guides, tutorials and examples from artists from some of the biggest names in the world -- free. I don't think that should be ignored.

@Karuji I didn't say they must already be a member - but they should be willing and WANT TO attend meetups. And if they're not unable to, we'd help, but seriously, do you think a rural kid with no access to transport and/or computers will be able to make a game dev bursary work? I'm not being condescending, I'm being realistic.

@Elyaradine the internship thing is VERY important and is the basis for any creative career - I've been there, I know. I've never even thought about that because it's such a default thing - and also because of the (perceived) lack of companies able to offer it in this country. If doable then definitely it should be done.