Make Games goes to GDC

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    @Manikin, you'll need to submit the docs to me, so I can send them in with Trade Mission forms. I'll need physical copies, but please also send me scans as I'd like to send a digital version as well.

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    Awesome, thanks

Can I assume that all as yet unanswered questions are going to get answers as you find out?

Thanks again for everything @LexAquillia!

I'll need hard copies of forms and all supporting documents by Friday 7 December 2013. We can probably get away with some of the stuff missing, but I'll need the substantial lot by then. Also please send me digital copies.

Sigh.... This makes me sad. I can't even try to qualify for this, as I don't have a company registered for more than a year. Does it make sense to try and register a company now-ish in order to qualify for the NEEEEXT GDC? Can a random individual like myself even register a company?

@Darkra88iT: Yes you can register a company (I can even do it for you if you like). You can go as an individual (that is what a sole proprietor is) you just need to be able to show that you've been "trading" (read making games) in the industry for at least a year. Finished products that you have released will obviously help.

@LexAquillia Sent you a PM! And I concur with @Manikin's sentiment, "A god among men and lawyers"!

@LexAquillia you need hard copies of documents by Friday 7 December (7 December is a Saturday, so you mean Friday 6th?) - does that mean we need to courier stuff to you or can we send it to you digitally to print out? Do these documents need any sort of endorsement/officiation/affidavit thing?

@LexAquillia I have some questions about the form, I'd PM but I suspect this'll be useful for others filling it out:

"Commitment fee paid (R750 for local events and R1500 for international events)": do we pay you or will this be covered with the funding somehow?

"Indicate the organizer of the SSAS Emerging Exporters Funding Project": Is that you?

"Event Details": Is that "Game Developers Conference" or something similar? Do we need to elaborate?

also for anyone wondering the HS Code is: "991599" is for "Computer Programming Services" (link). it might just be 9915 but I am unsure so I just put the full one in

@Raxter, don't worry about the committment fee (unless you want to give MGSA the money...)

The Organiser is Make Games SA

Game Developers Conference 2014 is the event

@Tuism, no you don't require certified copies of stuff (AFAIK), don't worry about couriering me the docs. What we will probably do is get someone at the JHB meetup in Dec to collect them, and I'll pick them up when I'm in Jozi after that

Going through the forms, there are some things I'm not certain of:

1. Are we "manufacturer, service provider, export trading house, or commission agent"? - Are we hybrid manufacturer + service provider? Can we multi-select? Are there other terms we can/should be using?

2. Under products available, do we strictly put down commercially released games? Can we put down game developing as a service (as game dev freelancers)? Is there room for unreleased titles? Is this checked against company bank statements - as in no sale- no product?

3. The form states that it is "required that the individual participant submits an entity profile" - does that mean the profile is about the individual being sent, or about the company? It should be the company, but it sounds like it would be of the individual?

Put Service Provider/Manufacturer

Unreleased titles work, but put (still in development). Game Development totally counts as a service

Profile of the entity. Where ever it says "individual participant" read "company"

Do unreleased titles have "Rand value" in export?

@Tuism, put the estimated rand value

I have no idea what game art services would fall under in terms of HS code. My options:
    990999 Commercial Art and Graphic Design
    991599 Computer Programming Services
    999599 Animation
    999099 Video Production
    992399 Computer Related Services, Nec
    The most correct one, I think, is "Computer Related Services", and only because apparently "nec" stands for "not elsewhere classified", which I guess puts it in sort of a miscellaneous group. <_<

@Elyaradine I think game art fits best under Commercial Art and Graphic Design and Animation?

@LexAquillia what would games fall under, like @raxter said "991599" is for "Computer Programming Services" - but that's not a product...

I remember games were classified under film or something?

I found 950410 Video Games of a Kind Used With a Television Receiver - is that right or is that referring to the actual machine (console)?

Okay, got the first part of the form done and the other paperwork in processing.

What do I do in regards to:
    A completed Emerging Exporters Application form - since we aren't emerging exporters?

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    The form you're filling in is the Emerging Exporters form : P.

>.< Please excuse me while I go back to doing something smart...

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    @Tuism, I think the code you are looking for is 991699 for "Prepackaged Software", this is the closest thing I could find, it is under group '99' for services so I don't think it means a boxed product.

also, @Elyaradine , would you fall under 990999 "commercial art and graphic design" ?

http://www.foreign-trade.com/reference/hscode.cfm?cat=16 - has a search function as well

@LexAquillia - All documents sent, and I have hard copies :) Let me know when/where to drop them off with you.

What is everyone using as the HS Code for digitally distributed games?

991699 Prepackaged Software
    950410 Video Games of a Kind Used With a Television Receiver

These don't seem right. Though I suppose you could argue that an app store ipa is prepackaging of a sort.

Next question:

"What is the current annual turnover for the last two years and the projected turnover." Presuming my financial year end is Feb conclude the following:

Previous Financial year Feb 2012 (before I was trading, therefore 0)
    Current Financial year Feb 2013 (Whoo money!)
    Projection Financial year Feb 2014 (How much I have now plus what I think I'll still get by then)

Is that right?

Also can get consensus on the meaning of turnover?
    Is it total sales, gross profit or net profit? (aka Total sales, sales minus cost of sales, or final income at the end of the day).

edited
    I've been equally confounded by this stuff, but google says:
    turnover
    ˈtəːnəʊvə/Submit
    noun
    the amount of money taken by a business in a particular period.
    "a turnover approaching £4 million"
    So I'm guessing total before tax, the big amount.

Turnover = how much money came in to your business that financial year.

So your estimate for next year shouldn't contain your turnover from this year.

So I guess the question should be is the current financial year Feb 2013 or Feb 2014? Maybe I'm getting confused because I just completed my tax return for 2013, but suppose what you're saying makes sense and 2013 should actually be considered last year?

So I guess the question should be is the current financial year Feb 2013 or Feb 2014? Maybe I'm getting confused because I just completed my tax return for 2013, but suppose what you're saying makes sense and 2013 should actually be considered last year?
    Yes. The current year ends Feb 2014. I filled in our turnover and marked it YTD (Year To Date), I have no idea if that's correct or not, but it made sense to me.

How do we actually submit the docs?

Nick, my pack's been mailed directly to your email, hope that you get it alright, please let us know if anything is amiss/bad/terrible/etc!

Thanks again for the opportunity!

@colinGravity I think just email nickhallsa at gmail dot com, that's how I did mine. Hope it's right.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1430.2: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1430.2: array (
  0 => '2013-11-21 13:59:49',
  1 => '2013-12-05 11:08:00',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.