Unity general questions

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    @Tuism,

Also don't forget to cheat where possible:

if(bullet is close enough to enemy) Explode();

or

if((bullet.transform.position - enemy.transform.position).magnitude < EnemyRadius) enemy.Explode();

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    @FanieG yeah that's the trigger thing I was referring to - however triggers ignore physics and my player objects use physics to fly up and down. Which means I can't just trigger everything...

Is it a bad idea to mix objects with rigidbodies and physics with triggers and translate and etc etc...? I'm starting to feel that way...

@hermantulleken Cool idea! That would be a great solve if all my stuff are circular/squareish...

Is it a bad idea to mix objects with rigidbodies and physics with triggers and translate and etc etc...? I'm starting to feel that way...
    As a general rule anything that overcomplicates your logic is a bad idea :) If it's absolutely necessary to use a bunch of different approaches to achieve your goals, then fine, but it really shouldn't be and it's just going to make things progressively more confusing as your project gains more features.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    @Tuism... it's a great idea even if they are not ;) For prototyping, it can get you past this hurdle and onto more important things. You may later find that your bullets have different properties only after spending a lot of time trying to fix this.

Also, don't forget that it's all about illusion; not realism.

Also, you can always up the precision by using more than one check...

Don't get bogged down in the detail. (And yes, it may be an improtant detail... but you don't know until you relax constraints).

Yeah I'm trying to keep it simpler rather than making it more complicated, so I can throw more features in to test and wrangle. This weekend's been blocked off for jamming (on another game, mind, but the benefits will be simultaneous) and I hope to get more updates to you guys soon :)

Thanks again for everyone's input and support, it really means a lot to me *emotional* :P

So I've been trying to get this global variable thing to work and it looks so basic but it doesn't work...

I have an empty gameObject in the scene, with this code on it:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class GameSpeedControl : MonoBehaviour {

public static float runningSpeed = 15;

Omitted the rest because I *know* it does run and does not pertain to this question.

I can't access runningSpeed from another script, when I do it tells me runningSpeed is not in this context. What am I doing wrong??? I googled and googled and everyone says it's as simple as adding static. But it's not. What is it?? @_@

I think you are missing this:

float myRunningSpeed = GameSpeedControl.runningSpeed;//the GameSpeedControl is an important part

OMG SO IT *IS* THAT EASY!!! THANKS!!! :D

Then another one that's supposed to be easy...

I have a public variable declared. A reference to a GUIText object so I can change the GUI on the fly.

I have a prefab that's not on the scene yet... I can't drag the GUIText instance on the scene to the public variable in the editor... I can if the object was in the scene already, but I can't if it's sitting in prefab. In fact if I drag the prefab out, set the public variable, then apply and delete it, the prefab variable gets reset to None.

How would an instantiated object make reference to something that's already in the scene? Can/should I fill that variable with something like a GetInstance or something?

Prefabs are reusable across multiple scenes, so you can't have one that references an object in a specific scene.

Do you need a public variable at all? Maybe you can just use GameObject.Find?

Thaaat's the one! So I can have a public variable, then when it gets instantiated, in Start, Find the specific GUI object and fill the public variable with it to use for the lifetime of the instance, right?

Cooool :D Thanks!

Here's a pattern for a lazy initializing property for what you're talking about. This will keep the if checks to a minimum later on, prevent you doing unnecessary extra GameObject.Finds and just generally keep things easier to read:

// private instance field that you'll never access directly outside of the property
    private MyComponentClass myComponent; 
    // property that you will use in your code to actually access the object
    public MyComponentClass MyComponent
    {
    	get
    	{
    		if (null == myComponent)
    		{
    			GameObject go = GameObject.Find("MyComponentsNameInScene");
    			if (null != go) myComponent = go.GetComponent<MyComponentClass>();
    		}
    		return myComponent;
    	}
    }

And then you can use it as you would have used the field:
    if (null != MyComponent) MyComponent.DoStuff();

Hey guys, so I started playing with Unity 4.3 today (the first time Im actually going to try make something in Unity). I am trying to figure out to to get if something has been clicked? In 2D Toolkit I know you can create the OnInput function and then just handle it in there. What do I need to do in 4.3?

P.S This thread should really be a sticky :P

Hey guys, so I started playing with Unity 4.3 today (the first time Im actually going to try make something in Unity). I am trying to figure out to to get if something has been clicked? In 2D Toolkit I know you can create the OnInput function and then just handle it in there. What do I need to do in 4.3?

P.S This thread should really be a sticky :P

Argh...sorry for the spam... :(

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    @CiNiMoD, something like this?

bool WasClicked(GameObject Target)
    	{
    		bool output = false;
    		RaycastHit hitObject;

if (Physics.Raycast(Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition), out hitObject))
    		{
    		        if (hitObject.collider.gameObject == Target) output = true;
    		}

return output;
    	}

EDIT: Usage
    void Update()
    {
    	if (Input.GetMouseButtonUp(0) && WasClicked(SomeTarget)) // Left click,on top of some object
    	{
    		// Do stuff
    	}
    }

Because it wouldnt be Unity if it was harder than that :P Thanks :)

Next question (sorry, gonna be spamming this thread for a while :P). I am trying to make a progress bar. I placed a sprite over another sprite and in my script I just set the scale of my overlay sprite. Yay, it works, except that the overlay scales from the center out. How can I anchor it to the left and scale out to the right?

Quick fix is probably to create a parent GameObject for the overlay sprite. Offset the overlay sprite so that the parent's pivot is on the left edge of the overlay sprite. Scale the parent. :)

Hmmm...still new to Unity. How do I set a pivot point?

You don't. :) You'd effectively be using parent-child relationships as a workaround to create a fake pivot point. (i.e. your pivot becomes where the transform of your parent is situated)

Don't you set pivot points based on the position of an object in the gameObject? Basically where 0,0 is is the pivot point. But I've had tons of problems around that, it's not as clear-cut as it seemingly should be.

Ok, but this still doesnt solve the fact that its going to scale out from the middle does it?

edited
    If you scale the parent gameobject (the one that you're using as a fake pivot), the child objects should scale from there instead of from wherever their local pivots are.

edited
    So Im having the most annoying thing happen. I have 2 objects with a Box Collider 2D. One of them is my player, and the other is the ground. I have a check to see if my player is on the ground, this is the code:

bool IsOnGround()
    	{
    		Vector3 pos = gameObject.transform.position;
    		RaycastHit2D hitObj = Physics2D.Raycast(new Vector2(0.0f, pos.y - 0.50f), - Vector2.up), 0.1f);
    		if (hitObj && hitObj.collider.gameObject.tag == "Ground")
    		{
    			return true;
    		}

return false;
    	}

This works great for when my player hits the ground, and it returns true. The ground element is made up by taking a 25x25px sprite and scaling it to go across the bottom of the screen. The issue comes in when I duplicate the ground element and use a smaller scale. I can land on top of it, the hitObj is null :( While Im sitting on the platform if I change the scale on the x axis and make it longer IsOnGround starts to return true when my scale reaches around 13.5 ....

I am super stumped :/

So the platform I am on doesnt return true until I make it wider?!?!

Your collider might not scale correctly with your ground.

So how do I scale my collider?

So how do I scale my collider?
    Choose the gameobject in the hierarchy so that it's components are shown in the inspector. The collider will be one of the components. You will be able to scale it there.

Is there a way to set up your scene so that you can so that you can use normal pixels as opposed to the standard way it does it (in meters I presume?)

Another question :P Probably a very noob one also...I have an object that gets all the items in my scene and displays their icons. It does this by calling Instantiate(SaidObject.Icon). In my Icon object I have an event listener that destroys the object when an icon was clicked. Its as simple as it sounds:

MySystemObject.OnIconClicked += (s) => { Destroy(GameObject); };

This works perfectly the first time I do it. When I do the process again in the same game(so, by my understanding, instantiating all the icons again) when I click on an icon, I get the following error:MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'IconBase' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.