Unity general questions

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    dislekcia said:
    @bigbadwofl: Doesn't that leak materials? renderer.material.anything raises alarm bells for me.
    You can use .material just fine (and often you want to). Just keep in mind that as soon as you do it once on a renderer, it will make a duplicate of that material. You can access .material as many times from a single renderer (or whatever parent object) it and only and Unity will only make a single internal duplicate of that material. That duplicate instanced material will also be disposed of properly when you stop running. The major determent in doing this is that it you can't batch across any objects that once shared that material as the new material will now belong to its own batch.

Using .sharedMaterial can help when it comes to batching, but be super careful with it because it will modify the *actual* material data in your project, meaning that you could end up saving those changes permanently once your app has stopped. Sometimes this doesn't matter (ie. dynamic variables stored in the material for a shader), but it could cause big headaches too.

We made use of both methods extensively in Bladeslinger, depending on the circumstances.

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    @Tuism - man your thread got hijacked badly, but i'm sure you can also learn from the info too. Anyway, did you find an answer to your orignal question?

Oh hells yes I don't mind the jack, it's all relavant info anyway :)

I haven't had a chance to try the info out (life getting in the way of game making, what IS that?! :P), but really thanks everyone for the input! :D

On a related note - why can't I use transform.Translate to move by a number smaller than 1?
    For example transform.Translate(-0.1,0,0) gives me an Error...

Is there no way of tweaking movement to a slower speed (I'm doing this per step) unless using rigidbody and velocity/addForce? :s

Should be transform.Translate(-0.1f, 0, 0)

The f stands for floating point which is the value type the function is accepting. I believe without the f the number is implicitly cast as a double?

Also, multiply the value by Time.DeltaTime (as in transform.Translate(-0.1f * Time.DeltaTime, 0, 0) )

So that you move in units per second instead of units per frame (assuming this code is in Update() )

THANKS! :D That worked brilliantly! Not quite understanding the difference between 1 and 1f - cos they seem to be completely different units (if I move it by 1 it's too big, if I move it by 1f it's not big enough, clearly they're different units...)

Also then, I've been reading about getComponent but can't get it to bloody work.

I have a controller with a public variable
    the script is called RunningController and the variable is called RunningSpeed...

I want to call that variable from another script,
    So this is far as I got, but it doesn't work...

globalRunningSpeed = GetComponent<RunningController>().runningSpeed;

This script lets the game start, but it throws errors during runtime...
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    BuildingBehaviour.Update () (at Assets/BuildingBehaviour.cs:17)

Help?

@Tuism, 1 and 1f isn't different units. What probably is happening is that your code is frame rate dependent. Like @Stray_Train said, you need to multiply the value by Time.DeltaTime in order to make it frame rate independent.

As far as the getComponent goes, you need to specify the object that you want to get the component from. So it should be specificObject.GetComponent<RunningController>().runningSpeed;

An easier way to do it (although slightly messy) is to just declare a public reference. So in the script that you need the speed do something like :

public RunningController myRunningController

you can then access the speed with :

myRunningController.runningSpeed

You can then just drag and drop the game object that has the RunningController script on it into the reference to link it.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    [EDIT: GAH! Out-helped by @Rigormortis :)]

You have to be getting the component from an object :). So you have to tell it where to took before you can tell it what to look for :).

It's like Gamemaker's syntax kinda: gameobject.variableName

So in this case nameOfObjectWhereVariableIs.GetComponent<RunningController>().runningSpeed;

But, since the script is on the same object as the script that's calling get component, just use gameObject (which refers to the game object the script/component is on).

So the code would be: gameObject.GetComponent<RunningController>().runningSpeed; :)

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    :O

I don't get it... I've been trying that and it hasn't been working...

I have a gameObject. It's named controllerRun. It says so in the hierarchy.
    I have these instantiated prefabs, Building01, Building02, Building03.
    In them are a script component BuildingBehaviour.
    In that script are these lines:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class BuildingBehaviour : MonoBehaviour {

float globalRunningSpeed;

// Use this for initialization
    	void Start () {
    		// transform.localScale += Vector3(0.1,0,0);
    	}

// Update is called once per frame
    	void Update () {

globalRunningSpeed =  controllerRun.GetComponent<RunningController>().runningSpeed;

transform.Translate(-globalRunningSpeed*Time.deltaTime,0,0);

if (transform.position.x < -40) {
    			Destroy(gameObject);
    		}

}
    }

The last bits regarding globalRunningSpeed are what matters, I think...

What am I doing wrong here @_@

@Tuism, unity doesn't actually know where to find controllerRun. You need to have a reference to the object in the script. Replace the line with this and it should work :

globalRunningSpeed =  GameObject.Find("controllerRun").GetComponent<RunningController>().runningSpeed;

an easier way that might make more sense as well would be to do something like this:

using UnityEngine;

public class BuildingBehaviour : MonoBehaviour {

float globalRunningSpeed;
    public RunningController runController;

void Start () {
    	}

void Update () {

globalRunningSpeed =  runController.runningSpeed;

transform.Translate(-globalRunningSpeed*Time.deltaTime,0,0);

if (transform.position.x < -40) {
    			Destroy(gameObject);
    		}

}
    }

Then you just have to drag and drop the object with the RunningController script on it into the public variable and it will link it.

That first bit worked - I'll stick with that for now :P

THAAAAAANKS :D

Cross-engine syntax and stuff is so hard to wrap head around @_@

Just beware of using gameobject.find, or getcomponent, in your update calls (or any way that will call it that often - like property gets being called from update). It's quite expensive. An alternative would be to call them in Start() or to create a property that can you expose via editor to link up there.

edited
    So... You can declare any variable as public, with the script name as type, and then link it up in the unity interface as reference?

public RunningController runController;

Can be read as:

public nameOfExternalObject objectNameInThisScript;

Is that right?

Omg unity syntax XD

Edit: So I'm trying to use @rigormortis's second method, but in the component of my prefab I have this line that I can't drag objects into - neither the script object nor the object in the hierarchy that contains the runningController script... I've tried many combination of the three things, trying different combinations... It doesn't let me put anything into that field. What' the logic of this syntax... I'm not getting it XD

@Tuism, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem is that if you want to link a reference for a prefab it has to be with another prefab. You can't link a specific object in the scene to a prefab.

@tuism: correct.

Also, to use prefabs they have to be instantiated first. Either in game hierarchy, or as a gameobject property linked via editor. If you need to instantiate prefabs in run time the best method is to have a script that can hold cached references to prefabs in design time, and then just clone them in run time.

edited
    Class Global
    {
        public static float runningSpeed = 0.5f;
    }

//stuuuuuufffff....

//Hey, I want to know what our running speed is right now...
    currentSpeed = Global.runningSpeed;

//Now I know! Also, no slow lookups, yay for static variables - which behave like GM's global variables

//But what if I want to change the value?
    Global.runningSpeed = 0.2f;

//Holy crap, it's public, we can just modify the thing, wow

Holy crap I feel REALLY stupid now.

@dislekcia your code is theoretically *that* simple. I get that it should be that simple.

But where the heck do I stick that first bit of Class Global, etc? I tried putting it in something like this:

using UnityEngine;

public class globalVariables : MonoBehaviour {

class Global
    {
        public static float runningSpeed = 15f;
    }
    	void Start () {

}

void Update () {

}
    }

And stuck that onto my empty gameObject called gameController, which is in the scene, in the hierarchy. I've tried renaming this to "Global". no success.
    And then tried to access Global.runningSpeed from other scripts, and it tells me "Global does not exist in the current context".

Where do I stick a class?

Have you tried declaring the speed variable as public static. Then you can call from any script and change value in inspector

so if I declare the variable as public static in any script, I can access it from any other script?

edited
    @Tuism, yes.

//how to declare it
    using UnityEngine;

public class GlobalVariables : MonoBehaviour
    {
        public static float runningSpeed = 15;
    }

//how to access it
    public class Character : MonoBehaviour
    {
       void Update()
       {
           transform.Translate(GlobalVariables.runningSpeed*Time.deltaTime, 0,0);
       }
    }

You can test if this is correct, but I'm pretty sure you don't even need to attach the global variables to an object even. It should work by just having the script in the project hierarchy.

edited
    @Tuism: You're declaring a class inside a class there, so it's only going to be accessible inside that globalVariables class "space". Dunno why you're doing that, not all classes need to inherit from MonoBehavior, so that's why the "Class Global" doesn't have any inheritance stuff going on. It's essentially just a storage class for static variables that exists in the C# "space".

Also, it's good practice to define a class type with leading capital letters - that way it's easy to tell if you're trying to access a class or a variable. Programming best practices, etc ;)

@Rigormortis: 15f. Otherwise you're forcing a conversion from an int just to initialise a variable...

OOOOKKKKAAYYY!!! I think I finally get it...

First of all I have/had no idea what a "class" is. Now I think I have an inkling.

That Global isn't a keyword like I thought it was - it's just a name - I could name it ANYTHING and it would work (as long as it doesn't dupe some other keyword) - right?

Then, as long as I declare a variable static - it'll be accessible "like" global variables, by referring to the cClass first, right?

Classes are always accessible from all scripts <--- is that right or is there some kind of restriction?

IF classes are always accessible from all scripts, why is static needed to make that variable accessible via its parenting class?

Sorry, this may all sound stupendously noob but I seriously have problems understanding all this Class stuff. Never really heard of it before.

edited
    You could have an "Enemy" class. Many different GameObjects could have the Enemy class attached to it, and they would all behave the way you've scripted them to in your Enemy class. But if you've got a bunch of variables in the class (e.g. current and max hit points, move speed) each of the GameObjects could have different values for those variables. You could have puny, fast-moving little enemies, or giant tanky ones, but they could all be using the same Enemy class (or at least be derived from it).

When you access a public variable on a GameObject (e.g. myGameObject.GetComponent<Enemy>().maxHP), you're getting the value of the variable on that instance of the Enemy class.

But when you mark something as "static", it becomes something that can only ever have one value. It isn't tied to any instance of the class in your scene. As far as I know (which I don't really; I don't work with this kind of scripting much to be honest), you access these directly, e.g. Enemy.DifficultyScale, rather than accessing them via an instance of them (like GetComponent).

My I'm-not-really-a-programmer explanation of it, anyway. :P

@Tuism: @Elyaradine is pretty much on the money with all of that. Basically, to put it all in terms of Game Maker, a class in C# is an object in GM. They're definitions for how things are going to behave, but you need to create instances of them first. In GM you create instances in the room view or via instance_create() in code. In Unity you create instances in the editor and adding scripts to them (except those scripts are "behaviors" of a larger object, but it's pretty much the same thing) or by adding scripts to a GameComponent via code.

The major difference between the two is that the class representation of objects is much more flexible - you can define any variables you want (much like in GM, except variables have much more specific scopes in C# than in GM) but the big thing is you can define any methods you want too. In GM all you have are the existing "actions" (methods) that GM has set up already, stuff like Step is pretty much the same as the Update method in Unity (because Unity calls that for you on MonoBehaviors assigned to GameComponents) but you can create other methods as well, stuff like FindNewTarget() or whatever.

You can define a method as static, so you could have something like Global.FindNearestEnemy(Vector3 location) that would return an Enemy object, if you defined that way in the Global class.

edited
    OK, I think I got the idea of classes and objects. The biggest challenge I have right now frankly seems to be:

Where to put scripts... what is accessible from where - in GM and flash it's quite simple - there's a root/stage/whatever, and everything under it is nested like a bunch of folders... Like root.object.gun.x - I can dig that.

But somehow Unity's object space seems... I dunno! It doesn't make sense to me!
    I was reading this documentation:
    Physics.IgnoreLayerCollision
    static void IgnoreLayerCollision(int layer1, int layer2);
    static void IgnoreLayerCollision(int layer1, int layer2, bool ignore);
    Description
    Makes the collision detection system ignore all collisions between any collider in layer1 and any collider in layer2.

You can set the default values for your project for any layer combinations in the Physics inspector. See Also:
    It LOOKS simple enough, but where do you call this Physics.IgnoreLayerCollision(layer8, layer9) from!? I've put it into a gameController to call at startup(), nope.

As far as I can tell EVERY bit of script MUST be on a game object, and every game object is in the scene, and I read someone said IgnoreLayerCollision isn't being called specifically from an object to ignore another layer (which is what I thought it was), but instead acts like a global options setting, that tells all of layer8 to ignore all of layer9...

But where the heck do you declare that??!?

Thanks everyone four your patience with these Unity questions. This is really much more of a deep end than GMS and Flash for me...

Edit: Thanks to @Gazza_N I found the collisions matrix and used that - though I'm still massively frustrated with understanding the syntax and conventions of Unity...

To simplify and shortify:

Where do I call IgnoreLayerCollision? Can I please have a usage example?

Is it in a gameObject in the scene in a StartUp()?
    Is it anywhere outside StartUp() or Update() call?

Thanks guys for your patience @_@

Should work fine from
    void Start () {
    //here
    }

@Tuism - depends on when you want it to happen. From what I understand, if it is in Start() it will be called when the scene loads. If it is in update() it will be called once every frame and if it is outside of those it needs to be in a method that gets called somewhere or in a coroutine that gets called somewhere. Please note that I am also a beginner so I hope one of the more senior devs also gives you an answer.

Thanks guys :D

Then I just realised that conceptually I didn't understand it right: Is it a single on/off switch that happens once and the ignoring happens the whole time, or is it called every frame on Update to maintain the ignore?