Maintenance 14/10/2013

Comments

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    @Karuji I think its more natural to look at the closest thing to the "1 new" message. So seeing a name (and not necessarily the "started by") next to the "1 new", people automatically think they are linked. Though I agree that the date etc. on the left would be cluttered (and wrong), I think it would be far less disorienting than it is now (I keep looking for the wrong person at the bottom of the thread and get quite confused). Could we at least try a different mock-up to compare?

• Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    I also don't like the OP on the left because when I look at the info I want to know the latest post much more than who the OP was. Or at least more often I want to know who the latest was - I want to know the OP once or twice.

The left would only get heavy if the date timestamp was left in the bold, bigger font. If the time/date changes to the same size and weight it wouldn't seem heavy. The overall effect is moving the gap further right.

I think that's fine.

@creative630 and what if the "1New" was placed after the OP so the flow of reading would go

Thread,
    by person, new post --- horizontal space --- by new person.

I think keeping the new on the left is better*, but if it is found too confusing then I would suggest moving it to the right, because reorganizing how the poster of the thread are would honestly make things MORE confusing.

And like I said any current discomfort is from exposure bias and will take time to get used to.

*When I am talking about keeping the 1 new on the left I am referring to its general space not how it is in specificity to the OP

Hmm, I think they do have a point though, anything that is right aligned should be less important info because it's outside of your normal viewing pattern (down the left hand side of the page).

I'll try just swapping the Started By and Most Recent By around, and see if it's not too bad.

I think I'll put the date format back to how it was as well, but with a tooltip on rollover (like how Started By works now). That way, things are less cluttered.

The "new" element could be moved all the way to the right, maybe?

dislekcia said:
    The "new" element could be moved all the way to the right, maybe?
    Then you're removing a vital piece of info outside of the normal viewing pattern.

No, I dont think it'll be a trainsmash to swap them around like @Tuism suggested.

Notice: Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset in /home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php on line 281
    edited
    I like @dislekcia's idea :)

Edit: @Nitrogen Would it be that bad though?

edited
    @Nitrogen I guess I'll be happy to wait see what you come up with first, thanks

If moving (NEW 1) to the right, you're now navigating the title on the left, then shifting to the right to see if there's sometihng new.

Or you scan on the right for new stuff, the shift your eye back to the left to see the title is something you're interested in. For multiple items, that'd suck.

So I don't think that's a good idea.

edited
    @creative630, @dislekcia: exactly what @Tuism said. It's a bit of a pain to switch back and forth between title on the left and info on the right.

In any case, I'll try both and try to persuade you why I think my/Tuisms way is better :)

edited
    Okay, 4 options:

Option 1
    Thread author just after category label.
    Cons: Potentially ambiguous thread author, lots of information packed onto the left side.

Option 2
    Swap Most Recent and Started By
    Pros: Most like the current design, related information grouped together (mostly), good balance.
    Cons: Most Recent date is all the way on the right side, Most recent author on the left.

Option 3
    Move thread author to the top right.
    Pros: Clean and balanced
    Cons: Potentially ambiguous, fights for space with the "Options" rollover box.

Option 4
    Move "New" to the right
    Pros: Very clean on the left side.
    Cons: Forces your eye to constantly shift between left and right side.

o_O So many choices :) I think I vote for number 3!

I vote 3 as well

I like 2. I don't think either of those "cons" are really cons. :)

• I do like option 1 although as you say, it's a bit cluttered on the left.
    • Option 2 is nice, but because it says "started by slaymantis 19:56 14 Oct 2013", it's kind of implies that the date is the start date, and not the most recent comment date.
    • I think Option 3 solves the problem of option 2.
    • I don't like option 4 at all.
    So my vote goes for option 3.

I think fighting for space with the Options rollover is a bigger problem than confusion over the meaning of the date.

But I don't really mind either way.

edited
    2 for the most clarity!!
    3's post starter name next to the star is ambiguous. Star Hanli?

But just move the timestamp of latest post to after most recent and change its font to the same as everything else. Why does it need to be in a higher weight?

If 3, then there should be a "by" in front of the original creator's name. And just make sure that if the thread name goes too long it doesn't break the formatting. The date to the right looks like when the thread's started though. Just make it smaller (same as the rest) font and put it after the most recent poster, which is in a diffent colour anyway.

Reporting in :)

I assume the profile page isn't suppose to look like this :P

edited
    @Tuism,

My, aren't we popular ;) It'll be fixed in the next style update.

Just wanna say that I *really* want the latest poster on the left as opposed to thread starter, because every time I see as it is right now I get confused :p

I second this :
    I *really* want the latest poster on the left as opposed to thread starter

Dont worry I'm still going to do it,

I didnt find much time to work on it yet with Real Life(tm) and my compo entry.
    I'm still going to try what you suggested on the previous page and see if I can get something better than option 3. It's a pain in the ass to have the thread author hidden by the options box on roll over.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache
Info Need to re-index plugin cache
Info CommentModel->PageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1298.2: false
Info CommentModel->CachePageWhere()
Info
Comment.Page.30.1298.2: array (
  0 => '2013-10-16 14:49:18',
)
Notice Undefined variable: GuestHourOffset
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 281.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/class.format.php line 465.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 712.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php line 19.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/library/core/functions.render.php line 338.
/home/nitrogen/public_html_mgsatest/forums/themes/mgsa/class.mgsathemehooks.php line 715.